• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ridiculous D.I.Y story

uberape

I recently saw a 30gallon tank for £25 and impatiently bought it. Since then I have exhausted all my savings in buying a fluval 4 plus filter, t5 light fittings and one plant pro bulb. I am trying to get an Amazon bio-tope-ish look. My first problem was that the fluval is way too strong a current for apisto swimming. I attached some tubing to the nozzel and put it facing up as a fountain. This made alot of noise so I decided to put it facing down into the tank. I then found that the cardinals i had in the tank were gasping slightly, which they hadnt been doing with the fountain. Ive got an airstone but hate it, so instead i punctured holes along the tubing to create several less noisy jets to break the surface. This worked and gave an ambient noise like a stream.
I then needed to get some tannins. The wood I bought did nothing. I took regular branches (boiled) from my garden, still nothing. I tried Roiboosh tea but although the water was stained and the fish were fine, the tank smelled like tea so I elected against this method. I bought some super-peat from sera. I do not have an external filter so I stuffed the peat balls into womens tights. Because I just dumped this into the tank the peat was not being aggravated enough, so i put the tubing with the end current into the tights (the tube is long so it can traverse the length of the tank and then travel down the leg part of the tights into the peat ball pouch located at the crotch of the tights). This worked ok but not enough so i bought some cattapa leaves from e-bay and tannins were 'go'. I then tried my hand at c02. This was instantly successful. 2litre evian bottle, tube and valve from the bubbler, sugar, yeast, wonderfully easy. The co2 was just bubbling up to the surface and I noticed online that you need to give it time to mingle with the water. I put the tube into one if the holes i had made for the jets.The c02 now travels along the tube into the sock through the peat balls and out the sock lining. Ha Ha, so now i have this interesting network of co2, peat filtration and oxygenating. A sort of haphazard D.I.Y success.

My next project is to get a tree trunk (bark and all) , half it, hollow it out, glue broken mirror pieces to the inside, attach the light fittings and use it for a lid.
I am hoping the broken mirrors will reflect the light from different angles replicating heavy tree cover (maybe not) but im energised from my D.I.Y progress.

Hmoobthor

seem to me you are doing too much work man...

i won't use the broken mirror .....

what i do is research...brainstorm first, buy my parts, then achieved!

uberape

i cant seem to do things that way, seems too much like being told how to do things, plus i like all the little problems one by one. Your way is definitely %100 more rational, stress free, but not as much fun. different characters, you sound scientifically minded whereas i gode the chaos.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I love when things sort of fall together and end up working! Don't get me wrong I use a lot of engineered products to get the job done (Dupla CO2 systems, production lighting, etc.) but cost and sometimes lack of a mass produced product along with boxes of parts lead to some great home made equipment. My Synodontis petricola/lucippinis egg collectoer and hatcher (a make shift copy of someone elses design) is made from an assortmet of on hand parts incluiding an ice-cream container lidthat happened to fit perfectly on the flower pot I used!

Have fun with the designing and tinkering! Post some pics when you have th chance please.

Jeff

Stickzula

I'd just paint the inside of the log bright white. It will reflect an amazing amount of light. Alternatively you could line it with mylar. The stuff helium balloons are made of will work well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apistokeeper

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….