• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cuckoo Caca's (breeding questions)

RHS788

5 Year Member
Tons of questions, and I appreciate any help with my orange cacatuoides.
I have a male and two females (both cool-looking) that I am working between two 10 gal. aq. Water parameters are consistent with advice listed. I have small gravel in the bottom and a Whisper 20 filter in each.

Scenario:
I had the male with both females. One female placed about 30 eggs under a clay pot. Good red color (I peaked with the flashlight). Reading all the advice, I moved the male and other female to the other 10 gal. so they would not get eaten when hatched. Within 30 minutes the female apparently ate the eggs (if she moved them to the gravel, I can't find them).

So....disgusted but lucky, within 4 days the other female placed about 30 eggs on the outside of a clay pot. (They didn't have the same red color but I don't know about fertility. I know she tried to kick the male's butt and get him over to the "nest" but he was busy and didn't seem very interested. Me, being educated, left them alone, ...except I had to take a look with the flashlight. The female immediately started eating the eggs. Stupedo strikes again.

Questions:
1) I really would like to raise a batch, then secondly would like to go the paternal route with the parents present. (Pipe dream?) When the next batch appears, should I leave them in or pull the eggs?

2) What is the best setup to minimize their "shock" and egg-eating? What about putting in a pot (inverted, with an igloo-type hole in it) with the idea that what can't be seen won't get eaten?

3) Should I use a bare tank or stick with my gravel, plant, root-wad type set-up?

4) Should I put two females and one male in one 10 gal, and leave them there until they get it right or die of old age?

Any ideas, direction, etc, is appreciated. I read a lot of the forum info last week-end, but unfortunately what I read and did, didn't work...yet.

Thanks everyone. This is an awesome sight.

Randy

beleg

5 Year Member
Hi Randy,

First of all.. Is the couple young? If so let them try it a few times.. They usually learn it right if there is no big aggression between the couples.

Secondly don't disturb them.. I don't think fish have exhibitionist traits like us humans , so when they are at the important job of parenting try not to disturb them as much as possible. At least until they know that "You" = "Food" .. This may take a while in their new tanks and they probably might forget the equation for a while if you change their tanks.

For the cave what works best is imo when the female can easily guard the eggs. This can be half of a coconut shell with only a small hole on it, or a flower pot with a small hole drilled like you mentioned. When drilling a hole in the pot please make sure that you wet your pot often so it doesn't crack ;)

Don't put 2 females in 1 10 g tank.. Probably that will be one dead female for you as soon as the other lays eggs.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I agree with beleg's advice but one thing that I do differently is to artificially hatch the first spawn I get. That way the eggs won't get eaten and if for some reason I lose one from a pair or male from a trio, I at least know I still have fry growing up as replacements.
It isn't always easy to find a replacement breeder and ime, it isn't unusual to lose an Apisto I care about for no apparent reason. If I have assured I will have young to replace them it always seems less likely I'll lose a spawner.
It isn't rational, it's just my experience.

RHS788

5 Year Member
Thanks to both of you for your responses.

I have had bad luck with other eggs fungusing when removing them, and therefore am a little reluctant to do so. But I will try! Any advice? For Corys, I have tried meth blue, peroxide, and every other suggestion, but not much luck.

I know use the same water, keep the temp the same, etc. Or would you suggest moving the parents? I will keep trying.

Also what is a good systemic method for using one male among two females (one in each 10 gallon)? Move him every couple/three weeks?

Thanks again.

Randy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loscide

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….