• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cryptoheros question

coltiger

5 Year Member
I don't know if this would be considered a dwarf question but also on my trip to the fish store I saw a Cryptoheros species marked "Blue eye"

The fish was gray with alittle blue to it, bluish gray I guess, it had really blue eyes and was shaped like a convict. None of the fish looked any different except in size. I can tell the fish is fairly aggressive, the fish didn't look like a sajica. There was one small black spot on the side, no extension to the dorsal. Any ideas on which fish this could be? Maybe I could buy a few and take pictures that might help lol

ps is cryptoheros considered dwarf?

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Here comes the debate. What is a dwarf. Since I am first to respond my OPINION will be on top.

IMO... yes Cryptoheros are dwarf. They are dwarf 'big nasty Central American' cichlids. My definition of dwarf takes into account fish of similar type. For example... Is Crenicichla regani a dwarf pike cichlid? yes... most pike cichlids get three or for times larger than a regani does, but a large male regani surpasses the conventional 4-5" that usually defines a dwarf.

The fish you saw are probably C. spirilium (sp?) or C. septemfasciatum. One of those two is generally called the 'blue eyed' cichlid. Based upon the description of the spot on the side, I would say septemfasciatum. Grab 'em up.. their cool. I have four Cryptos and love them:

C. nigrofasciatus 'pink' (yes... I own pink convicts .. and proud of it!)
C. nanoluteus
C. sp. 'honduran red point' ( I agree with Juan Miguel Atrigas Azas that this fish is just a small, colorful convict)
C. sajica 'gold side'

lab

5 Year Member
I agree, Ted. It could be Cryptoheros septemfasciatus, but it could also be C. myrnae. These two species are quite similar, and share as a characteristic a lateral spot.

In #45 of this Danish debate (sorry) was posted a picture of a beautiful female C. septemfasciatus: http://www.cichlids.dk/debat/vis/98322/

Here, in #18 is posted a beautiful male C. myrnae: http://www.cichlids.dk/debat/vis/91012/

In Denmark C. myrnae was orignally sold as yellow septemfasciatus.

Best regards,
Lars

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
True the C. myrnae has a lateral spot and blue eyes. I did not think it was that species based upon color descriptions. Myrnae are usually very yellow in the breast area and the color stands out enough to catch your eye. Myrnae is also relatively rare... but so is true septemfasciatum. Spilurus is much more common, especially the 'cutteri' form. That fish, however, has distinctive vertical bars.

coltiger

5 Year Member
I could not get a positive id on the fish, Iam sure they will be there when I go back next week. Myrnae does look like a name on the tank and the fish I looked up on the web seem to resemble it more than the others you both mentioned.

lab

5 Year Member
You are probably right, Ted:)
I just thought of C. myrnae as a possibility, without any photo to id from. Off course I wouldn't know anything about the availability of either species in your part of the world.

Coltiger: In this case I would be a bit cautious about id based on a web search. The two species are frequently confused for one another. The stores don't always get it right either.

coltiger

5 Year Member
Nature Pet Centre in Lasalle(Quebec) are pretty good at getting a wide variety of cichlids and other kinds of fish you don't normally get elsewhere. The guy that orders the fish is good friends with Oliver Lucanus and knows alot about what he orders, he goes direct and cuts out the middle man making it cost less for the customer. If anyone is in the Montreal area, you should check them out. At the Lasalle store ask for Brad or if he is not around ask for Robert but normally he is between all the stores.

I understand where the pet stores don't always get it right, I've worked for a few doozies lol The worst being Petcetera by far, another store here still has those Apistos in with the Haps only three left now and this was after I told them about it:rolleyes:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(