• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

cross breeding

brad

5 Year Member
Anyone know of a chart to reference to find out which apistos will cross with others?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
There is none that I know about. Usually you will be safe keeping apistos together that do not belong to the same species-group. Most apistos will not breed with a different species unless it is very similar in looks and behavior, or when it has a member of the same species (but opposite sex) in the tank.

mooman

5 Year Member
If I'm off here I appologize, but are you asking because you WANT to cross breed apistos? If so, I will respectfully ask you not to. If you must, please make sure that NONE of the fry leave your property (not even if the person your giving them too knows what they're getting) I believe most people on this forum would agree. The last thing I want to see happen is for the blood lines of these wonderful fish to become muddled due to hybridization.

If your into that sort of thing, might I suggest central american cichlids as an alternative? That specialization has already been corupted by a ignorant hobbiests throwing a bunch of different species into 55g tanks just to see what kind of Frankenfish they can cook up. This is a pet peeve of mine, and again I appologize if I'm way off or stepped over some line in the sand.

brad

5 Year Member
No it`s not my intention. My intention is actually the opposite. Every once in a while you see people with larger tanks that want to keep 2 species together. I think it would be a great tool so that person knows what not to keep together.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….