• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

corner box filter

aspen

5 Year Member
hey guys... i recently set up a tank with one of those old style cheapie little corner box filters. they seem pretty decent really, and was wondering why everyone has abandoned these things, in favour of more high tech filtration methods. you can use a variety of different medias, and they seem ideal. is a sponge so much better?

rick

Neil

Good question! i kind of like those ole things myself. Simplicity! But I will say that I think that a sponge filter is a better option for a Dwarf tank. The biological filtration is all you really need, because of the amount of water changes the average Dwarf should get. A sponge filter is easy in that regard, because you just lift it out by the airline and squeeze it out a little (not back into the tank preferably :roll: ). I think that is one of the major draw-backs to the box filter. If I remember correctly, to clean it you need to lift it out of the tank, take it apart and clean or replace the insides. Although this is really not that much work, it is more than lifting out a sponge filter or opening a hang-on to pull the filter. In this day and age, we have become a touch lazy and want the easiest, most convenient solution possible. And on the practical side, both undergravel and box filters tend to collect detrious and junk and are a little tougher to keep the clean conditions that are ideal for our little guys. But there is certainly nothing wrong with them if you are willing to do the little extra work.
Neil

Z Man

5 Year Member
I have nothing but box filters in all of my 80 tanks. They really don't have to be cleaned as often as a sponge filter (which I use in fry tanks) and do collect a lot more of those nasty larger particles that always seem to be floating in tanks. I have found the sponges to be more work because if you don't put it in a plastic container before you remove it, lots of that gunk goes back in the tank. With the boxes I just toss out the old floss and replace it with new after cleaning it. BTW I have about 30 extra so I always keep ahead and don't have to rush to clean them fast. Yes, I use just one pump for all the tanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….