• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Confused about Apistos

mike_cummi

5 Year Member
Hi, new to the forum and looking for some help as I would like to have a community tank built around a small group of Apistos but am struggling to get to grips with what is required for their successful keeping due to inconsistent and conflicting information.

I have recently acquired a Juwel Rekord 70 (measures 60cmX30cmX40cmhigh) which has a 7cm layer of gravel and 3cm of space at the top giving an effective tank volume of 60cmX30cmX30cm. At the moment I have 6 harlequin rasboras which tend to occupy the mid-uppper region of the tank. I plan to have a reasonably heavily planted tank with arrangements of wood and some rocks to provide cover and hiding places. To this I would like to add a pair or trio of Apistos and 10-12 mid dwelling tetras (maybe rummy nose, glowlight etc.).

I have been using American Cichlids 1 (Linke/Staeck) as a reference. I have found it to be reasonably good but sometimes lacking in practical information for some species - i.e. it will sometimes go into great detail as to the morphology of a species but will then not give an indication as to suitable water conditions or tank size. Also, many of the species for which such information is given indicates that many Apistos (eg cacatuoides) actually prefer a slightly alkaline pH whilst many websites I have seen recommend soft acid conditions for all Apistos.

I am not concerned with breeding Apistos as I would not have the time or facilties to care for the fry, I would just like a small group of Apistos (maybe only males if possible) which will not be too shy and will get on with their fellow tank inhabitants. If I do not have to alter pH then I would prefer not to - my tap water is around pH7.5-8 and between 6 and 10 degrees hardness (general and carbonate), I will be adding some CO2 from a couple of small ferementer units. Might also add some blackwater extract and oak leaves but don't want to start using RO, buffers etc unless necessary.

Can anyone suggest a species and how many I could keep? Would all males be okay or would they just fight?

Thanks for reading, grateful for any help.

fishgeek

cacatoides or borreli would probably be my first choices in higher pH waters
if keeping males i go by a rule of 2 sq ft area for a male territory
so your tank wiould only house one male territory

if just keeping males then less reason for them to squabble over tank space if no girls or breeding occuring

andrew
i'm sure there will be other opinions

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Mike,

First, welcome to the forum. Second, I can sympathize with your confusion. There are at least 200 species of Apistogramma out there & many more will undoubtedly be discovered in the near future. Considering the vast numbers, it shouldn't be surprising that this genus will have "the good, the bad, and the ugly" species in it. They also are adapted to different water conditions in Nature & even show different breeding strategies. Let me make some observations, based on over 30 years working with these little gems.

Apistos are cichlids (obviously) and like most other cichlids tend to be territorial, particularly if there is the ability to breed. Apisto territories vary in size depending on the species, size, method of breeding, and even individual temperament. Your tank is a good size for keeping many of the smaller, less-polygamous species like A. borellii, many of the regani-like species, and the (monogamous) pertensis-like species. For the fish species that are the more monogamous, like those related to A. atahualpa and A. nijsseni your tank will work, too - if they are a bonded pair. Otherwise one usually doesn't survive. These species tend to accept smaller territories. For other, larger, polygamous species species like those related to A. macmasteri, A. agassizii, A. cacatuoides, A. trifasciata, & A. sp. Broad-banded/Breitbinden it is at the bare minimum in size. Expect problems if each male does not have at least a tank of your size. Each female will need about half that much - until she has fry. Then it expands. Such species can be kept in pairs, but it tends to result in conflicts between the 'partners'. The male will always be trying to breed & will try to drive out of his territory any female not ready to breed. Any female with eggs/fry will try to drive the male away because he has no further purpose in the direct care of the eggs/fry and, at best, becomes a nuiscance, at worst, attracts predators.

Linke & Staeck's book, which you have, is based on the 1984 German edition & is very dated. Web sites vary in their quality. Some are quite good, but others are absolutely terrible with really bad information. It is hard for the beginner to sort the 'wheat from the chaff'. I suggest that forums like this one are best, because if someone states something categorically wrong, others will jump in and correct it. Just remember that no one way works for everyone or every specimen of a species.

My suggestion for your tank is to keep 2 males or a pair of A. borellii - a very beautiful fish and very adaptable to water chemistry - in your community tank. Good luck, but be very careful. Apisto keeping can become very addictive!:)

Griz

5 Year Member
Great post Mike! As it happens I've been trying to sort out which apistos do better in pairs as opposed to those that tend to be more polygamus and your post has helped.

Thanks!

mike_cummi

5 Year Member
Thanks for your replies. I think i'm going to postpone getting any Apistogramma for now.

I'm going to wait until my tank is fully set up and see what the pH and hardness stabilises out at once the other fish, plants, bogwood, blackwater extract, CO2 and oak leaves have been added. I may even decide that I'd like to use a buffer to bring the pH down to below 7 if necessary.

Once everything else is in place I'll revisit this - may even get cichlid atlas vol 2 which i understand is due out soon.

Thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….