• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Confirm if Male or Female

jacfromac

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie to this forum - I'm sure everyone is tired of this question, but I recently am trying to get a nice mating pair of German Blue Rams. I went to one of my local fish stores (no - not one of the big box stores) and got a pair, but I think they may have given me two females.

Can someone please help me out and take a look at my pics and help me confirm?

Also - if one needs to go back, any suggestions on which one should go?

1616858649030.png

1616858691211.png

Thanks in Advance!

Jonathan

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I would say that you have 2 females, although one or the other might be an immature male (<2"/5cm?). Look for a fish with a less round, more elongate humeral (flank) spot with metallic blue scales mostly around the border, higher front dorsal spines, less pink in the belly, and a more pointed posterior dorsal fin tip. When I am in doubt I buy 6 specimens of mixed sizes (but not the smallest that might be runts) and let them sex out. Statistics say that a random choice of 6 will give me a 97% chance of getting at least one of each sex.

jacfromac

I would say that you have 2 females, although one or the other might be an immature male (<2"/5cm?). Look for a fish with a less round, more elongate humeral (flank) spot with metallic blue scales mostly around the border, higher front dorsal spines, less pink in the belly, and a more pointed posterior dorsal fin tip. When I am in doubt I buy 6 specimens of mixed sizes (but not the smallest that might be runts) and let them sex out. Statistics say that a random choice of 6 will give me a 97% chance of getting at least one of each sex.
Thanks for the quick response. I was hoping to go back to the LFS tomorrow but perhaps I might wait to see once they've grown a bit more. They indeed are small (< 2"/5cm in size). I just might be happily surprised.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….