• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Compatability

edinjapan

5 Year Member
I've finally got a pair of Steatochromis casuarius and 1 odd male. At least that problem will be soon solved as there is a school of small fry following mom around.

I'm thinking of moving them to the big tank that currently has livebearers in it. After remodelling the tank I'd like to add the Buffaloheads, a pair of P pulcher and possibly a pair of Thorachromis brauschi, Benitochromis nigrodorsalis and a few small plecos. Would this work in a 150 x 60 x 45cm tank?

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Those are a lot of cool fish, but I think that you are heading for some problems with the Thoracochromis brauschi and Benitochromis nigrodorsalis. Both are larger, meaner cichlids that may not tolerate the presence of the more peaceful fish in the tank. Liveberers make good tank mates for most west african cichilds, unless the water is extremely soft (which the Pelvicachromis and Benitochromis like). Steatochranus are not very predaceous, so they may not go after livebearers too aggressively. The Benitochromis get large enough to see a platy as a potential meal, and I suspect Thoracochromis would too.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Steve has a lot more experience with T. brauschi than I do. Mine were brutal with each other, but I did not attempt to keep them with other fish. So I am made a bit of an assumption.

edinjapan

5 Year Member
Currently the S casuarious are sharing a 90 x 45 x 45cm tank with a pair of P pulcher. Some Java Medaka, Mekong Medaka and Limia perugie are in there to act as dithers and the cichlids mostly seem to leave the each other alone, only taking the occasional swipe at each despite both pairs having fry. I'd like to move the adults into the big tank over the summer and add some suitable tankmates.

What would you recommend?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….