• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Colmbian Apisto ID!

BoBzz

5 Year Member
Well I got my first Apistos since becoming a serious and informed hobbiest.
But I have no clue as to what they are!?!? :?
The 411:
They came wild from Columbia.
They are about an 1" long.
They have a zig zag pattern on their sides.
They have flecs of blue on their faces.

I will hopefully have pics by the end of the week! :wink:

Regardless of the species, I think they were a heck of a steal at a $1.50 a piece!

Thanks a ton in advance! :D

BoBzz

5 Year Member
Well after a good night of rest from their trip and a full bellies worth of blackworms I have gathered some more info!
The zig zag/checkered like pattern runs latterally and ends with a spot on the caudal peduncle.
They seem to be very dark in over all appearance and quite slim.
Out of the six I purchased there seems to be no sexual dimorphisms at all but a few of them keep doing a sort of jaw fighting(but no one is getting hurt :wink: ).

B

Bimmer

Sounds like either Blue Face or maybe a checkerboard mix???
There has been a HUGE glut of these all over the country.
I have been seeing and hearing ALOT about these Apisto's.
They may or may not be "wild".
Look those two up, In either case, Good luck on the ID and let me know how it turns out.

Pimpin

BoBzz

5 Year Member
I would be more than willing to bet that these arent hybrids of any kind! :wink:

Cmon guys help me out!!! :D

heslipst

5 Year Member
Apisto. sp. steel blue

Your description, along with the impressive price, seems to indicate that you have Apisto. sp. steel blue. This is the Asian hybrid being exported in mass quantities as males to the U.S. There are some recent strands on this forum with pictures:

http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1153

Take a look and see if these match what you have on your hands. These steel blues are commonly found throughout LFS's in Michigan.

Good luck,
Steve

BoBzz

5 Year Member
I know the fish your talking about and have seen them many a time, but these guys look nothing like them(atleast right now they dont).
I will try to get those pics up as soon as possible!
I really hope to all that is holy that they arent steel blues!
It would be really depressing after searching all this time only to be duped! :(

Discus Man

5 Year Member
Bobzzz, you have wild caught columbians. They are a cacatoides type fish, wild form. Care, adult appearance, etc. is all = to Cacatoides.
They turn up often up here in Canada.
Once upon a time someone told me they were a cousin of the cacatoides called (barely remember) Juruensis.

Neil

If they are cacatuoides, they will probably show sub-lateral lines (small horizontal lines under the "zig-zag" line in the middle of the fish).
Neil

BoBzz

5 Year Member
Thanks for the responses!

Yet more observations!
It seems theres 2 males(maybe?) They developed a dark lateral band(covering the checker/zig zag pattern) and are constantly contesting eachother(raising fins, shimmering and biting eachothers sides)
and 3 Females they keep the zig zag and developed a spot mid way through their bodies, they stay pretty much hidden except at feeding time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewShNN

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….