• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Chromidotilapia vs. Benitochromis

Randall

5 Year Member
Dear Neil and Company,

Mike Wise of the ASG wrote a brief article concerning the above referenced subject for a recent issue of the Apisto-Gram. I will attempt to summarize and add a few observations of my own here.

In 2001, Mag. Dr. Anton Lamboj split the genus Chromidotilapia based on skeletal features, a low level of sexual dimorphism and the presence of a black spot in the soft doral fin of juveniles and some adults. Although I can't read Dr. Lamboj's German language description very well, some species exhibit a low level of sexual dichomatism (coloration) as well. Species of the Chromidotilapia batesii/finleyi-complex were placed in the newly erected genus Benitochromis, named after the Benito River in Gabon. In his paper, Dr. Lamboj scientifically described three new species as well. Please note the following:

Benitochromis finleyi (type species) was Chromidotilapia finleyi Mungo
B. batesii was C. batesii (probably Kienke)
B. riomuniensis was C. finleyi Campo
B. nigrodorsalis was C. finleyi Moliwe
B. ufermanni was C. sp. Mondemba
B. conjunctus was not recognized in the hobby

Add to the above B. sp. "Eseka" formally known as C. Batesii "Eseka," and all currently known forms of Benitochromis have been accounted for.

For further information, I may be contacted directly.

Thank you.

Randall Kohn

Neil

Thanks Randall!
So, are the finleyii and batesii species the only ones that have been altered in the Genus? Or are we looking at more wide-scales alterations?
Neil

Randall

5 Year Member
Benitochromis

Dear Neil,

As far as I know, only the finleyi/batesii-complex fish are now generically Benitochromis.

Randall Kohn

Finatic_LasVegas

5 Year Member
Benitochromis sp. "Eseka"

Okay, Randall...so now that I have the subject gorgeous fish (formerly Chromido. sp. "Makondo") gracing my tank with their presence, just wanted to share my joy at my female "shaking her groove thing" at her cohort rather energetically this morning after they were fed a hearty portion of frozen bloodworms. After only a few days in the 55g Westie community tank (sharing space with a pair of T. ansorgii, 5 juvenile Liberian Red humilis, pair of Nano. splendens -- while they're still called that! -- as well as assorted corys and emperor tetras), she is already visibly fattening up. The T. ansorgii were quite bashful until I moved all the Hemi. stellifer out, pending the arrival of the eseka, splendens and humilis -- now the ansorgii are vying for top fish status -- so they will be moved tonight as well. Not taking any chances!

But everyone please say a few little prayers for me tonight....and maybe I'll have some good news by next week! :D

Cheerio to all,
Wendy

Randall

5 Year Member
Chromidotilapia sp. "Makondo"

Dear Wendy,

Glad to hear that your Makondo cichlids are settling in so well. After some back and forth with Anton Lamboj, we think they are probably Benitochromis sp. "Eseka," but are not positive. Previously, the Eseka form was considered a Chromidotilapia batesii color morph. The Kienke River system morph was moved generically into Benitochromis as B. batesii, kind of leaving the Eseka morph out on a limb. Pending a conclusive description, Eseka should probably be treated as an undescribed Benitochromis species. So much for nomenclature.

Please share with the Forum more about their behavior and coloration. These fish are so seldom seen in the hobby, especially in the US, that others may benefit from your experience with them.

Good going! and keep up the good work!

Randall Kohn

Finatic_LasVegas

5 Year Member
Good nomenclature & photo reference

Randall,

I hear you on the nomenclature issue. Will it ever end? :?

HAVE, however, found a pretty up-to-date photo/nomenclature reference, with the latest (at least it seems so) changes, including those of Lamboj (am sure you have already seen it!):

http://cichlidpark.agava.ru/sisafrik.htm

Happy Tude-day to all,
Wendy

Finatic_LasVegas

5 Year Member
Nano pics

But of COURSE, I LOVE PICTURES! :)

Nothing like a bunch of Westie pictures to make my day. Now, when the heck is the new L&S book getting translated (and corrected from the previous version, for that matter) into to English already. *impatient* as always. :p

Wendy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….