• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Checkerboard Cichlids

• Thread starter Half-Black Black-tails
  • Start date
H

Half-Black Black-tails

I am not that sure if they are Dwarf or what, i haven't been able to find a lot of info on them.

Anyways, i was wondering [if these questions can be answered]:

1. How big do they get?
2. What kind of tank should they breed in?
3. How to breed and sex them?
4. How hard are they to breed?

If no one knows, then answer the following

What kind of a dwarf Chiclid can live and breed in a 10 gallon tank with Guppies [4 Guppies] and water at 7.2-7.4 pH?

cootwarm

5 Year Member
I don't know about Checkerboard cichlids but...

Apistogramma trifasciata or borellii would do fine in a 10 gallon with 4 guppies, as long as the water isn't too hard and the tank has some plants and caves or driftwood.

The borellii can be sexed at a younger age than the trifasciata. The borellii are also probably easier to spawn.

Michael

H

Half-Black Black-tails

Thanks

Anyone ever heard of N. Multifasciataus????

H

Half-Black Black-tails

If you read above, you would see i am looking for some Dwarf Chiclids to keep and breed in a 10 gallon tank!!!!!!

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi,

what checkerboard cichlids do you mean? There are several species within the genus Dicrossus, mostly D. filamentosus or D. maculatus.
The D. maculatus become much bigger than the D. filamentosus.

greetings,
Rolo

H

Half-Black Black-tails

All i've ever seen are small Checkboards which are less than an inch long, probably babes.

They are a lightish-medium coppery brown with dark brown or black 'checkboards'

Can't help otherwise, the fish shop knows little more and not what type they are.

Neil

Half-Black Black-tails,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Although Rolo is correct that Dicrossus sp. are all typically refered to as checkerboards, I will take _BaDgUy_s suggestion and assume that we are talking about D. filamentosa. I must also note that Crenicara sp. are also many times refered to as checkerboards though (and for a good reason).

1. How big do they get?

The males can get extremely long lyred tail filaments, so that affects the total length. Males - 2.5/3 inches / females - 1.5/2 inches.

2. What kind of tank should they breed in?

They are a cichlid and, as such, can get a little uppity with each other, so it would be wise to give them a little space, 30g.

3. How to breed and sex them?

They are difficult to sex until they become fairly mature and then their differences start becoming quite apparent. The female that is sexually mature will get red/orange ventral fins, but will not develop all the impressive fins and color of the male. Before the female gets the ventral fin color, you may start to see the development of the males lyretail, where the females will stay more rounded. The male may also start developing some spangles in his face and on his fins, especially the caudal and dorsal.

4. How hard are they to breed?

Very difficult! This is not a beginner fish because it is not only difficult to breed, it is not easy to keep. It requires very clean, soft, acidic water for optimum health. To breed it requires a pH of under 5, with virtually no hardness. Almost a rain water type of deal.

What kind of a dwarf Chiclid can live and breed in a 10 gallon tank with Guppies [4 Guppies] and water at 7.2-7.4 pH?

Good suggestions above.

Good luck,
Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….