• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Caucatoides pair in 10 gallon with dither fish and amano shrimp?

anewbie

If you are in the usa shrimp direct has this nice little dish
(they also sell it on amazon and it includes enough eggs for several years)
-
The pro is that it is easy to use and it 'filters' the shrimp from egg fragments for you (of course you could use encapsulated eggs); the negative is that is low volume (plenty for a breeding pair but not so much for a fish room with 100's of fishes); not design for feeding/raising brine shrimp if you want them to mature into larger shrimps for larger fishes. The price is alittle steep but it does include a jar of eggs - i keep my eggs in the freezer and they have so far lasted 3 years.

If you are in the usa shrimp direct has this nice little dish
(they also sell it on amazon and it includes enough eggs for several years)
-
The pro is that it is easy to use and it 'filters' the shrimp from egg fragments for you (of course you could use encapsulated eggs); the negative is that is low volume (plenty for a breeding pair but not so much for a fish room with 100's of fishes); not design for feeding/raising brine shrimp if you want them to mature into larger shrimps for larger fishes. The price is alittle steep but it does include a jar of eggs - i keep my eggs in the freezer and they have so far lasted 3 years.
Thanks for the advice! I'll keep that hatchery in mind. I don't really have any bigger fish besides some guppies and some neon tetras and some Cory catfish though so I really just need the babies for apistogramma fry.

hello everyone .

I just got a coconut hut from petsmart but the hole is a bit large. It's about 2 inches wide and just over 2 inches tall. What should I do to make it a smaller opening? I could use a rock to partly cover up a bit of it, or would something else work better?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
What should I do to make it a smaller opening? I could use a rock to partly cover up a bit of it, or would something else work better?
Is it in the rim? If it is can you bury it in the sand to reduce the hole size? I've never seen a "for sale" one with a suitable sized hole, they are always much to big.

The ones with the hole in the top are just useless.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

Is it in the rim? If it is can you bury it in the sand to reduce the hole size? I've never seen a "for sale" one with a suitable sized hole, they are always much to big.

The ones with the hole in the top are just useless.

cheers Darrel
Here's the hut I bought. It does have that small hole in the top for the tag loop thing is that what you were talking about?

Attachments

• 16784669221422243436872067187933.jpg
    16784669221422243436872067187933.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 51

anewbie

Here's the hut I bought. It does have that small hole in the top for the tag loop thing is that what you were talking about?
I think you are over thinking this; the small hole in the top doesn't matter too much; the fish might or might not use the hut even if you provide one. a lot of people use them so don't get me wrong but i've been pretty shocked where my fishes decide to lay their eggs - My hongsloi that i had loved to lay it on the matten filters and another that always picked a notch in the top of a piece of drift wood; my kribs (ok not apisto) got it right and dug a hole under piece of drift wood - pretty large cave actually; my a. pucallpaensis lays it under a piece of drift wood; while another lays it on top of a piece of drift wood (same piece); anyway they will figure it out. Your biggest problem is the tank size if you still are keeping a pair in a 10.

(btw my hongsloi which were in a 29 totally ignored the two coconut shells in their aquarium).

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I bought. It does have that small hole in the top for the tag loop thing is that what you were talking about?
Like @anewbie says the little hole is fine, it just where the shoot would have grown from if the Coconut palm had germinated. Can you bury the hole in the sand so it is just the top 1/4 of the aperture?

cheers Darrel

they shipped today cant wait!!! They will be here tomorrow. I need to wash off all my stuff going into the tank the caves, wood etc. ill send pics of the new fish when I get them into the tank.

they arrived today. Sadly the female is DOA and I cant afford to pay shipping again. But the male is doing great. I decided to put him in the 20 gallon community tank until I get a female to breed. if anybody has a female cacatuoides double red in nothern Georgia I would love to buy it.

anewbie

I know there are sellers in florida if you are willing to drive that far and a fellow in nc; georgia had a trade show a couple of weeks ago so there are likely local with them but you will probably not find them here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….