• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Caucatoides pair in 10 gallon with dither fish and amano shrimp?

Hey everyone I was wondering if I could keep a breeding pair of Caucatoides in a 10 gallon with my neon tetras I have five of them and my two large amano shrimp My water is all fine for Caucatoides. Any information is helpful. -Wayne

16777769744136431784887266419562.jpg

MacZ

Too small longterm. It's ok as a breeding tank (sans the tetras of course) but only if a second tank to separate them at any time is on stand-by.

Too small longterm. It's ok as a breeding tank (sans the tetras of course) but only if a second tank to separate them at any time is on stand-by.
Yes I have a 20 gallon I can move the tetras in same with the shrimp. That tank just probably won't work as a long-term tank for the pair. I could keep one of them in it though and one in the 10 if that would work.

Hi all,

Agreed

Keep it, the more cover the better.

cheers Darrel
Thanks for your input Darrel. I'll keep the plant but do you think I should remove the dragonstone I think I heard somewhere that the female might try to lay her eggs in there and then get stuck or something like that. I also am going to add a flower pot cave for her to lay her eggs. -wayne

hey ben sadly I cannot breed them in my 20 because its my community tank. Though I'm thinking I could grow them out in a large storage tub with a sponge filter
I would personally use the 20 as the breeder and then move the male to the 10 when you’re not breeding. That way the fry are already in a growout size tank.

thanks for responding

-wayne

MacZ

I could keep one of them in it though and one in the 10 if that would work.
Well, if you don't want to breed the most feasable option. One fish in each tank.

I'll keep the plant but do you think I should remove the dragonstone I think I heard somewhere that the female might try to lay her eggs in there and then get stuck or something like that.
Dragonstone generally has a high risk of injuries from all sorts of accidents. I find that stuff absolutely useless except for fishless aquascaping.

Well, if you don't want to breed the most feasable option. One fish in each tank.

Dragonstone generally has a high risk of injuries from all sorts of accidents. I find that stuff absolutely useless except for fishless aquascaping.
Thanks . I'll remove the dragonstone, but do you have any idea of how many caves I should put for the female and what types of caves do you think would work the best?

MacZ

Thanks . I'll remove the dragonstone, but do you have any idea of how many caves I should put for the female and what types of caves do you think would work the best?
Unless she is supposed to spawn caves are not necessary. Some driftwood and leaf litter providing cover is absolutely suffcient.

Thanks I'll make sure to do that but what if in the future I want them to spawn? Would like a coconut hut or a pot be better or one of those pre-made apistogramma caves?
Unless she is supposed to spawn caves are not necessary. Some driftwood and leaf litter providing cover is absolutely suffcient.

MacZ

Would like a coconut hut or a pot be better or one of those pre-made apistogramma caves?
The fish don't care, I don't care. As long as it has only one entrance that is either small enough only the female can get in or she can dig up some sand to close the entrance as she sees fit, it's irrelevant.

There is no "better" in these scenarios, and it can boil down to an individual preference. I've used the apisto caves on several species. Others offer many different kinds of caves, and each fish chooses the one they like best.
thanks! i have just ordered my apistos and im goin to be geting the caves today im getting a clay pot and a coconut hut.

Also does anybody know if I can grow them out in a 20 gallon storage tub ill put a sponge filter on it and have some plants(java moss, frogbit, maybe java ferns) and what should the setup be like? If I cant get live baby brine shrimp could I just use frozen or do the fry only eat live? ill give an update when my fish arrive crossing my fingers they come alive and healthy.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
If I cant get live baby brine shrimp could I just use frozen or do the fry only eat live?
You need something that "wriggles" to get the fry feeding response. Can you get Micro or <"Banana Worms"> (<"Panagrellus"> spp.), they are a very low maintenance culture.
anybody know if I can grow them out in a 20 gallon storage tub ill put a sponge filter on it and have some plants(java moss, frogbit, maybe java ferns) and what should the setup be like?
Yes, potentially you can. <"Frogbit and Java moss"> are good, but you <"need plenty of each"> and a matured sponge filter and some sand.....

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

You need something that "wriggles" to get the fry feeding response. Can you get Micro or <"Banana Worms"> (<"Panagrellus"> spp.), they are a very low maintenance culture.

Yes, potentially you can. <"Frogbit and Java moss"> are good, but you <"need plenty of each"> and a matured sponge filter and some sand.....

cheers Darrel
Thanks Darrel! ill keep all that in mind d you have any recommendations for brine shrimp hatchery's or banana worms or any good DIYs ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….