• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Carrying fish into the U.S

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Next week, a brief business trip will take me to Berlin, Germany. A contact of mine at the Aquarium in Berlin offered to give me some really nice and rare fish to take back into the U.S. I'm aware of the many Import Threads all over the internet, but they all seem to talk about commercial import. Would I still need a license and/or other documents if I transported the fish myself? If so, which documents?

I will be re-entering the U.S. through Chicago O'Hare.

Thanks.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
How many fish? If it is five or less then you have no issues. If you are bringing in more than that, and declare them, then they might be confiscated.

PM sent

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It really depends on the customs inspector, port of entry, karma and God only knows what else. In 2005, I brought in approx. 20 fish in plastic jars from Norway through Detroit. I had no problems. Last October, I brought in approx. 100 fish from Peru through Los Angeles. Again, no problem. On both occasions I listed them on my customs form as "small aquarium fish". When it was my turn at customs, I was open, and friendly. This, I think, helps a lot. I let them know that they are for my tanks, etc. I understand that customs in Florida is not so accomodating. Your success may vary.

electric eel

5 Year Member
if you fly back in thru new york get an i.b.e.w. shirt if you can and wear it.last time i came back from amsterdam when the customs guys found out i was an i.b.e.w. member they were very accomadating.i believe they are somehow connected with that union and people up there are very strongly union.they even had me refill out my customs form so i would'nt have to pay taxes.i told them i had it filled out correctly and they told me twice no if you fill it out like this you won't have to pay any taxes.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the feedback. The species I'm talking about is Alcolapia alcalicus. The aquarium in Berlin can spare only one male and two females. Their veterinarian at the Berlin Aquarium is putting together some paperwork for me. I will attempt to carry the fish into the U.S. through Chicago O'Hare myself (properly declared, of course). Ted, I might fall back on your generous offer, if need be (PM sent).

Steve: Yes I talked with Mark, but since we are talking only three fish, working with a commercial importer doesn't make much sense.

I checked with Anton, and he said he carries fish into the U.S. all the time, and customs always wave him through.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Back in the U.S.! Here's what happened. I picked up a trio of Alcolapia alcalicus from a buddy of mine at the Berlin Aquarium (one of the females holding). The veterinarian at the Aquarium issued some paperwork, declaring that the fish were born in Berlin and are disease-free. I told the folks at the Berlin airport that they are dealing with live fish when checking in. I had a brief layover in Munich and went on to Chicago O'Hare. I properly declared the fish. The customs guy didn't quite know what to do and sent me to a colleague of his. The second guy was as friendly (and clueless) as the first one. He tried to get hold of a fish and wildlife inspector who was nowhere to be found. He eventually got hold of the guy by phone and explained what was going on. I played my "I am affiliated with the university" card and that, along with the paperwork from the vet seemed to make a big difference. (I had to leave my business card.) The customs officer waived me through, saying that I will be contactyed by the wildlife person. Not all luck, though. Once I arrived in Lincoln, the two females were dead, and the male survived only for a few more hours.

Well, I'll probably go on another business trip to Berlin this fall, and hope to get another chance. I'm currently trying to develop a plan for how to improve the handling of the fish by the airport personnel. I think this is where the problem was, because the box was in transit for only 1.5 - 2 days. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Janos

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
transport

Get one of those igloo camp coolers, pack it tight, dont leave any space for the fish to run around in there. Chicago is a bummer, the people there are clueless!!!!!!!!!!!!! Actually Fish and Wildlife are clueless.
If you want to bring back a few more fish get an import permit from them. Get a form 3-177 fill it out and FAX it to the Chicago office at the airport along with yur flight no. MAYBE things will go smoothly. I am bringing back a bunch of fish AUG 7th ANYONE WHO WANTS A LIST e-MAIL ME

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvashave

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….