• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can two different Agassiziis breed?

Borked

5 Year Member
I currently have a nice male A. agassizii 'Alanquer' or 'Blue' and have had a really hard time finding a mate. I found a female A. agassizii 'Double-Red' yesterday so I picked her up on a whim. The male is really sweet on the female and isn't being aggressive at all. He seems like he just wants to be near to her all the time. She is settleing in so she is still shy. Is there a chance that she will take to him even if he's a different color? It would be nice to get this guy to breed.

thanks in advance,
-Kyle

fredmir

5 Year Member
Can two different Agassiziis breed

I have breed Agassizii alenquer male with a female double red.

It was quiet hard for me,as the male was killing the female and I was down to my last female.

I did hatch the eggs with a airstone

I did have a very nice agasszzzi

It was a alenquer body with the double red fins

I did spawn them twice andthe colour was alway the same.

Downside, is they were very agggresion,
killed alot of fishes

I`m guessing this was due to the cross breeding??

George

Woodsy

5 Year Member
You shouldn't have too many problems crossing colours if the fish are of the same species- it's how we get most of the new colour verieties. In some instances (I don't know if it's been done with dwarfs), fish will even breed between species. Livebearers are renowned for this, and it is also how we got Red Parrots (Severum+Red Devil)

Randall

5 Year Member
Agassazii Hybridization

Dear Borked,

Please be careful when crossing differing populations of A. agassazii. Today it is commonly held that A. agassizii consists of a species complex of several different species. As an example, A. agassazii "Tefe" (A. sp. "Rio Tefe") has been crossbred in the hobby with other agassazii forms, resulting in a hybrid. So, unless one has wild fish, most if not all of the "Tefe" agassazii available in the hobby are hybrids.

I don't know if the fish corresponding to the Alanquer population are the same species as the fish known as "Double Red." The later sounds like a selectively bred aquarium strain.

Perhaps some of the Apisto experts here in the Forum can comment further.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Borked

5 Year Member
Currently I'm keeping all my dwarfs as pairs/trios as more of a collection than wanting to breed. None of them are in the breeding tank, all are in grow out or community tanks. If they DO breed I'd be happy but it would just be even more work than it is now. I would just be happy if they paired up.

I'm not too hip on hybrids as they seem to be more about making money than anything else.

I have access to male D-red Agassizii and if I could get my hands on a female blue I would be even happier.

Thanks for the replies.
-Kyle

Woodsy

5 Year Member
Borked said:
I'm not too hip on hybrids as they seem to be more about making money than anything else.
It's true, most of the breeders I know attempt to finance their fish keeping by selling copious amounts of fish. The question is, however; Why do you keep fish?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….