• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

can somebody ID this pelvichromis he came in on wild krib shipment

Aquatopia

pelvichromis.jpg

Cool little guy but have no idea what he is.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Pelvicachromis taeniatus "Nigerian Yellow"

That used to be a pretty common site even as recently as the 1990's. But over the past 10 or so years I've been seeing less and less by-catch being sent with Pelvicachromis pulcher. Wild P. pulcher have become harder to come by for that matter!

Aquatopia

I have to get a better picture- I thought pelvachromis yellow but he has a red eyebrow if you look close and somewhere on this site I saw the same fish but can't find it now!

viejo

5 Year Member
I always figgered that the difference between 'green' & 'yellow' was a dietary / environmental thing which is most likely the case with a number of color morphs :wink:.

Lotsapetsgarfhts

Those "kribs" might be P. sacrimontis which have really green gill covers and as another poster commented on how he used to pick them out of shipments of wild P. sacrimontis. I did as well and the fish were sent to us as wild kribensis. You may have gottne some very nice fish as sacrimontis are much nicer than P. pulcher the "kribensis".

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
The fish is definitely P. taeniatus from Nigeria. The cheek will define color. I have had both green and yellow, and they both bred true. Yellows have more yellow in other parts of the body and fins, but the greens are pretty much a yellow-less fish (males) with a green cheek. Females are hard (if not impossible) to tell apart.

Aquatopia

Judging from the pictures of P.sacrimontis - I'm pretty sure that many of fish on that order are them instead of Kribensis though I'm also pretty sure that few people aorund here would know the difference. It's nice because I already spawned and am raising about a hundred of them -quite beautiful fish!

Lotsapetsgarfhts

The sacrimontis get much more colorful in my opinion, I have a pair with a spawn and 3 extra females that I had to remove the parents would have killed them for sure. I would love to get a few more males to pair up the extra females.

AndySch

Hi,

i agree, P. taeniatus nigeria yellow, might be "Rotwange", the other fishes are all P. Pulcher, i dont have seen P. sacrimontis on your pictures.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….