• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Camera"s!!!!!!!!!!!!!

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
OK everyone my camera broke and as I am not a camera buff, any suggestions on a good apisto pic taking machine--I was using a nikon 990------I am looking at a Minolta 7i

ragmansrams

5 Year Member
camera really dont matter much it usualy the photog remember i sent you the worst photos ever and i have a 1000 dollar camera

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Myself I want a digital camera. I have an older Sony 1.3 megapixal that takes fair size pictures. The problem I have though, is that between the time I press the button and the camera records the image, the fish has changed position or left the picture completely!

Anyhow, I don't want anything fancy, but I do want decent pictures. I think a DVD Camcorder would be easiest way to get decent pictures from moving subjects like our apistos or wildlife. You can film some footage and extract stills of the best shots.

I haven't purchased one yet, but I've been checking them out. Most models use a format called something like miniDV, which is NOT a DVD disc, but a digital tape that wears out. Myself, I want a true DVD Camcorder that records directly on DVD-RAM discs. DVD-RAM discs are simular to DVD-RW's but have a much longer useful life (reuse 100,00x vs 1,000x).

DVD-RAM's are editable and compatible with newer DVD recorders. I would need to purchase a new DVD burner that is compatible with DVD-RAM for use with my computer. This way the footage can be edited on the computer using decent video software. Not a must, as many DVD Camcorders have editing features and can connect to PC's using USB cable, but it does open endless editing options.

What I've learned about different DVD Camcorder models:

Hitachi -
A friend of mine has a Hitachi with 18x optical zoom, USB port, editing capability. She has some excellent footage of activity around her bird feeder and other critters in her backyard. The 18x optical zoom takes amazingly sharp pictures. The size of the stills are about 480px X about 640px, kind of small for a printing, but perfect size for web publishing. She paid about $500.

Sony -
Has many more DVD Camcorder models than other brands, but most of the reviews (some by sony fans) are bad. Most who purchased them, reported being unhappy with their purchase.

Panasonic -
Has at least 3 different DVD Camcorder models:
1) about $500 gets 18x optical zoom; 480 x 640 stills; no USB support
2) about $700 for 10x optical zoom; 1.3 megapixal stills; has USB support
3) about $900 for 10x optical zoom; 2.2(?) megapixal stills; has USB support

I ignore the digital zoom specs, because it is just computerized guess work. The higher the digital zoom used, the more the image gets distorted. It's better to use only the optical zoom, then use a PC with photoshop for any digital enlargements.

There seems to be some type of barrier at 10x optical zoom for higher resolution stills (1.3+ megapixals). Of course if you plan to take just still shots that you wish to print nice glossy 8x10's, a camera dedicated to stills would be best.

So far I'm leaning towards the $500 Panasonic. It's not too expensive, 480 x 640 stills are acceptable, no USB support is OK as long as I upgrade my DVD burner to a DVD-RAM compatible model. I like the higher optical zoom for better closeups. I also plan to use it in the field to film wildlife, so I think it will be easier to get better shots with the 18x zoom.

I currently have a Panasonic DVD recorder that is DVD-RAM compatible and has additional editing features when used with Panasonic brand DVD Camcorders.

Does anyone else have any experience or opinions to add to or clarify what I've posted here?

Michael

Leipo

5 Year Member
The choice of a digital camera depends on what you are planning to do with it.
I own a Canon Powershot G2 which isn't very good in taking macro-photo's, but with an additional macrolens which you can attach to the camera with an adapter you get pictures like this

so if you use the camera mostly for macro-photo's I would buy the camera with the best macro-capability.

a good site for tests, reviews and user experiences on digital camera's is dpreview

JG

5 Year Member
I use a Hewlett-Packard 735, a mid-range digital camera for the everyday photo enthusiast. It has served me well being a 3.2 MP with 15x total zoom (3x optical).

The best place for camera comparisons is at www.dpreview.com.

J

cootwarm

5 Year Member
DVD Camcorders

I just re-reviewed the Panasonic DVD Camcorders on the web and decided to upgrade my choice so far. Earlier I hadn't seriously considered the Panasonic VDR-M95 Camcorder because the suggested retail price was so much higher than what I planned to spend ($999). However I found a few places on the web that was selling them for under $650, still a little more than I planned to spend, but acceptable considering the additional features. One place had it for $639 with a free tripod:
http://www.bestpricecameras.com/239969-192948-2.html

Panasonic VDR-M95 DVD Camcorder:

Uses 3" DVD-R and 3" DVD-RAM disks, video in MPEG format, 2.0 megapixal stills in JPEG format, has USB cable for direct connection to PC for editing, 10x optical Zoom lens - 4.5 mm - 45 mm - f/1.8-2.2 (35mm equivelant - 48.7 - 487mm), remote control.

This model should take excellent stills as well as excellent video footage.

Michael

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
natrickshwaxey

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….