• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brood care

XJfella95

Since I can't search does anyone know of some good reading material regarding the gestation period for the cac. Eggs and things to look out for during raising the fry?

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
For Apistos in general (it can vary depending of temperature) it takes 2 / 3 days to hatch the eggs and 4 / 6 days plus to become free swimming.

Once they get the free swimming stage, you can feed them with brine shrimp nauplii.

XJfella95

Thanks a bunch. I've been looking for specific days to keep an eye on them.

Last night (day 1) The eggs went from white to ruby.

For Apistos in general (it can vary depending of temperature) it takes 2 / 3 days to hatch the eggs and 4 / 6 days plus to become free swimming.

Once they get the free swimming stage, you can feed them with brine shrimp nauplii.

XJfella95

The female with her 4day old wrigglers.
15ac8089.jpg

Video.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/xjfella95/af434c53.mp4

XJfella95

Update

Transferred mother and babies to 10gal grow out tank. I counted roughly 65 babies. I'm pretty sure this is her first spawn. She's doing really well as a mother even attacking my turkey baster as I suck up her offspring.

In the grow out tank I have Toms hatchery going which supplies a steady stream of bbs for consumption. I also have a vase set aside to hatch additional bbs to add to the hatchery once a day as they grow bigger. Bbs are def more maneuverable at day 2-3 as opposed to day 1. I found that removing the black cap from the release chamber, covering the hatching chamber with a coaster and ramping up bubbles to 4-5 per sec. Really gets the shrimp to swim down and out to the light (through grilled escape hole). Hatching is done at 1-2 bubbles/sec, cap on and no coaster.

This seems to give the babies plenty to chase and pink bellies

I decided to keep this thread updated since the search function isn't working. Maybe someone will find it useful. Especially if the search is ever fixed.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Most Apistogramma eggs hatch around 60 hours.
Newly hatched brine shrimp are at their smallest size and most nutritious immediately after hatching. After their first instar they are much less nutritious so there is little reason to grow them a few days before using them.
I hatch mine at about 82*F and they begin hatching sooner but nearly all hatch by 24 hours. I run through 2 separation stages to reduce the number of eggs or shells to the minimum. Then I store them in fresh brine in the refrigerator. This makes feeding them when they are at their best through out the day easy until the next batch has hatched.

XJfella95

Yes I've read that bbs is best if fed right away but I can't be home 24 hours a day. This is why I have the toms setup in the tank to provide continual feeding of bbs. And every night I add first instars to the hatchery so that in the morning before the bbs make it out of the hatchery the older ones beat em. Almost acting as two feedings.

I don't know if this is the proper way but it seems to be working. The little ones hang around the java moss all day and pull first instars from there and pluck bbs from the currant.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I have never used one of the brine shrimp hatchery like you are using.
I have 2-2 liter brine shrimp hatching cones and hatch 2 tsp's of eggs in each per day. I go through more brine shrimp than most but not as many as some.
I don't have the time or patience to drain them more than once so I harvest once a day and do the extra step of a second settling to obtain pure live newly hatched bbs, place those in the 'fridge and start fresh cultures. That way I have fresh but chilled shrimp on hand and they are replaced the next day. If you have a lot of tanks with fry the little "automatic" hatchers lack the capacity to supply a thousand or so fry of different sizes but my method is well suited for those who must go to work, have many fry and have limited time to spend on fish. I have the time but not the patience to mess with shrimp set up and harvesting but only once a day. I'm around for the scheduled feeding.
Only a very few species fry will not take the chilled nauplii and most remain alive in the refrigerator for about 12 hours so even picky fry get live bbs albeit slow moving ones but for bottom feeding Apistogramma fry this is a good thing. I have been using this method for about 10 years and I raise Discus, Dwarf Cichlids, Killies, Characins and catfish.

I haven't ever seen let alone used one of these automatic brine shrimp hatchers/feeders so it's a mystery to me how the shrimp get out and the salt water doesn't.

XJfella95

Mother and 2days shy of 1month old fry.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/xjfella95/cb1f7b2b.mp4

The hatchery works like so. In the video you can see a bulbeous part on the hatchery at the bottom. At the top of this bulb it necks down to a small diameter. At the top of the bulb and where this neck is is where the two water types layer ontop of one another When the specific gravity is correct the salt water sinks in the hatchery and the fresh water sits ontop because of the small surface area.

When the bubbler is running the hatching chamber is all salt water by way of currents created by the bubbles.

Eggs go in and at 79*s they hatch in 13hrs and are pushed into the bulb by the downward flow of the hatching currents.

There they swim up torward the light. Stopping at the neck and mixing with the fresh water in the process.

It's really pretty cool how it works.

In the video you can see the bbs swimming out and up to the light. I have the pumps turned off so the smaller fish can swim up and eat from the spout. You can see the bbs everywhere in the tank too. This is because I turned off the bubbler in the hatchery. This causes all the bbs to sink into the bulb and swim out in high numbers. Usually it's about 2-4 bbs released per second with 90% premium quality eggs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(