• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brine Shrimp.

Microman

5 Year Member
When hatching Brine shrimp cysts do you get a better hatchrate if you illuminate the hatchery for the whole period of incubation.
At present my hatchery is only illuminated whilst fish house lights are on ,approx 12 hours on, 12 off.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark.

cdawson

5 Year Member
Microman said:
When hatching Brine shrimp cysts do you get a better hatchrate if you illuminate the hatchery for the whole period of incubation.
At present my hatchery is only illuminated whilst fish house lights are on ,approx 12 hours on, 12 off.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark.

I never find there's a better hatch rate, just that they stay nutricious longer because there is a constant supply of food for them.

fishgeek

i thought that hatch rate was temperature and salinity dependant , not light

unless of course your only source of heat is te light

in my mind light was to attract the shrimp toward

andrew

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Light is a necessity for a large hatch rate in the shortest time possible. I use full spectrum flourescents. I have had students do an experiment where shrimp are incubated with and without light. The batches without light have a significantly lower hatch rate. What is relly cool though, is that the cycsts that are incubated without light hatch very quickly under intense light of the microscope the kids are using to count them.

Microman

5 Year Member
Thanks all for your comments.
Ted,that is the sort of answer that i had expected.I shall certainly be using some sort of full spectrum lighting for the whole incubation period in future.I thought that i was not getting a hatch rate as high as it should be and this goes a long way to achieving this.
It shows that they are light dependant when they actually hatch under the microscope lights.
Thanks again,
Mark.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….