• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brine Shrimp Cycts price vs. Advertised hatch rate

What is more important to you?

• Low price.... but at a loss of hatch rate. (grade C)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:?: Here is a question... How much is a 90% hatch rate on brine shrimp actually worth? I have been looking at brine shrimp cysts to offer through the apistogramma.com product page. I would like to get a few cases before the prices go up.

The price per can that you see out on the web is mostly grade B; 80% hatch rate. The premium grade stuff is very expensive.. more than twice the amount per pound of grade B, but there is only about an 8% difference in hatch rate. (I am using numbers off the Artemia International web site). Most of us are buying 80% hatch rate eggs for about $25 - $30 per 1 pound can.

Grade C is advertised as a 70% hatch rate, BUT when you compare average hatch number analysis there is only a 20% difference between grade C and the premium, and a 14% difference between grade C and B... but the price is cut nearly in half! 8O One might lose 14% in hatch rate, but gain 40% - 50% in price.

I use about 1 pound of 80% hatch rate eggs per year, and pay about $28 per can. If I switch to 70% hatch rate cysts, I would use about 1.2 cans, but only pay about $15 per can. I would be paying $18 for a year's worth of bbs instead of $28.

So here is a poll....

aspen

5 Year Member
so far, all i've used is the stuff from the lfs- i haven't bred many fish.

i would prefer better hatch rates, but i always just assumed it was me, till the last time when i got serious. i'm not sure i would really be needing too many bs eggs, due to the fact that i plan to use more mike reed's nobs foods. they are quite good for discus.

rick

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
I breed lots of fish, so brine shrimp eggs are important to me. I tried the mike Reed stuff, and couldn't find one fish in my room that didn't spit it out. I usually buy the bgrade stuff form brine shrimp direct. Since i consider the eggs a nec essary cost, I never really thought much about the price. When I am content, I usually don 't price shop.

Rich

Neil

It is definitely nice to have better hatch-rates, but when you are buying in bulk and the price is so much lower than what you can get a smaller amount for, it is less relevant. The amount of hatch rate depends on so many issues and, if others are like me, there is a percentage that is wasted from each batch cultivated anyway. I would prefer to get my adequate feedings out of a batch and then start another, without being too concerned with a few percentage points of hatch rate. Price is the larger issue.
Neil

jvr

5 Year Member
hatch rates

First of all lets get rid of the a,b,c grade system.
Over the last few years sellers of eggs have manipulated this to the hilt. At one point 80% hatch ratio eggs were being called Grade "A" Eggs and "C" eggs were 65%. Some suppliers differ.
The correct method is 240,000 naupli per gram, these would be considered grade "A".

I can tell you that price does matter, if you buy "premium" or "A" grade and then you switch to "B" or "C" grade it can lead to frustation, if you are used to a large hatch and then you get half that it is frustrating. At one point I just added more eggs to make it up, result, fouled water quicker, baby brine died due to lack of oxygen much quicker when harvested.

I pay more for a better hatch.

PS I did use the grades above because that is how the eggs were sold to me.

Currently I have also bought 70% hatch ratio shrimp that were hatching in the 90% range, these only cost $11/lb - BS direct.

Thanks

John

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….