• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding GBR and Gold Ram Possible?

Christople

Hi I was wondering if I could breed a female gold ram with a german blue ram... Also, I was wondering how much color the fry lose if the parents aren't wild.When the babies are free swimming are they bug enough to eat bbs?

Thanks for the help... Quickest replies please buying the fish tomorrow:redface:

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
You can breed gold with blue rams as they are just domestic colour forms of the same species - but why do you want to? As the Gold form is an albino type of form I imagine crossing blue with gold will give you all blue young so unless you're trying to line-breed for some specific trait to improve a strain I think you'd be best just trying to buy the best shaped, sized and coloured blue parents and breed some very nice babies.

If you just want a mixed pair for how they will look in your display tank then no problem.

I don't understand why the parents not being wild will lose colours as the domestic line-bred forms of rams are often more colourful than the wild specimens you can sometimes buy. Good, colourful parents will usually give good, colourful offspring.

Christople

thanks a lot for the help and I will see what I get... I googled this and found some info that said you get both types and mixes. Reading that I was excited to find out if that was true.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scapesce

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….