• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding deformed fish....that are extremely rare

Rod

5 Year Member
I have a dilemma

I now have 2 pair of Nanochromis transvestitus....these are extremely rare in Australia because they are no longer a legal import...and those that are here are no doubt inbreed

My first inspection has proved to be incorrect
One of the males has a deformed mouth....normally I'd banish any fish with deformaties to a community tank....but I wondering should I breed with this male(it doubles my chance of success) and cull any deformed fry
or do I leave it to the Best male and Hope he does the job???

He may still have fry with deformaties but hopefully a lesser % than the deformed one

????

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Tough question. I would breed him but be very careful to grow out the fry to maturity before lettign them out of the fish room. Sometimes a deformity results from and early injury and not a genetic problem.

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hi,

It is tough biy on my view not worth it. There are still a lot around in the world that have access to the transvestitus. Just because they are rare in our land, it is not worth the risk. Rather send out a post looking for a female or male etc, but not worth it to inbreed. Life indeed is tough, bit enjoy them and look around. cheer jk :biggrin:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….