• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

caca breeding

Thalassa

Hi All,

I have a male Caca and 3 females in a planted scapped 55g with a ton of caves cracks etc. I have bred the male before but he recently murdered his mate. so I moved to a larger tank. Have about 30 very small tetra ember, neon, and silvertip as dither. also have 2 Ancistrus. If I want to breed the caca what does that look like? after I get fry do I pull the male or would I need to pull the male and 2 females or leave things alone? The pleco are to big to fit into the caves.

Thanks

MacZ

In short: for significant breeding your setup is not going to work. I strongly advice against plecos in the same tank as dwarf cichlids no matter what size the caves and you have 3 species of tetras aka fry predators.
Setup a separate breeding tank, move s female and the male, remove the dude after spawning and then you'll have success. You know where you can put the fry?

Thalassa

OK thanks for the info. so what about 2 or 3 female and one male in the 55? how would that work? would I need to pull the male and 2 female after I get the fry?

MacZ

Pulling the male, yes. Pulling fry/mothers, never.
If you want to breed seriously, one female per tank. Otherwise it not worth the fuzz at all.

Thalassa

Pulling the male, yes. Pulling fry/mothers, never.
If you want to breed seriously, one female per tank. Otherwise it not worth the fuzz at all.
ok so when people talk about a trio it's not really a breeding scenario but more of a lets not murder each other scenario. And removing the plec's after a quick google looks like more of a let the plecs keep they eyeball scenario. Do I have that right?

MacZ

ok so when people talk about a trio it's not really a breeding scenario but more of a lets not murder each other scenario.
Trios are technically harems and often choosen for keeping (not breeding) non-monogamous species. Makes zero sense to me. It has more of a vibe of getting a pair with a spare, in case one female is killed. For harems I personally would go for a group (3-5m/2-5f) in a 2m-tank.

And removing the plec's after a quick google looks like more of a let the plecs keep they eyeball scenario.
Most Plecos are at least partially nocturnal. Apistogramma are diurnal. Ever seen a stressed out dwarf cichlid at the surface in the morning after a pleco has rudely woken it from sleep?

Take a look at this thread:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A 55 is certainly a possibility if planning to breed a trio of A. cacatuoides - if properly structured so every fish can maintain its own territory. The primary reason why people recommend trios for polygamous species is so that the male does not constantly 'hound' a brooding female. Don't be surprised if a dominant female take control of broodcare of less dominant females. This is quite common with A. borellii, however.

Having said all that, I hope you know that you will need more than one tank for breeding success. I commonly have 2 or 3 set aside for each breeding tank.

Thalassa

A 55 is certainly a possibility if planning to breed a trio of A. cacatuoides - if properly structured so every fish can maintain its own territory. The primary reason why people recommend trios for polygamous species is so that the male does not constantly 'hound' a brooding female. Don't be surprised if a dominant female take control of broodcare of less dominant females. This is quite common with A. borellii, however.

Having said all that, I hope you know that you will need more than one tank for breeding success. I commonly have 2 or 3 set aside for each breeding tank.
thanks this is very helpful, I have a 10G and 20G below the 50g I can siphon into if I get fry to keep the male in. So would it be OK for me to keep the other 2 females in the 50G tank or should I remove them. and put them in a lower tank?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Personally I would keep all 4 fish in the tank. This, however, depends on having a densely structured tank where no one fish can easily view another. The male will be less likely to bother a brooding female if there are other females in the tank to attract his attention.

Thalassa

Personally I would keep all 4 fish in the tank. This, however, depends on having a densely structured tank where no one fish can easily view another. The male will be less likely to bother a brooding female if there are other females in the tank to attract his attention.
Thanks I have a very structured tank with tons of line of site breaks.

Attachments

• 20230623_123127.jpg
    20230623_123127.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 83

Thalassa

Here are the side views. I do have a lot of almond leaves I could add.

Attachments

• 20230624_121442.jpg
    20230624_121442.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 73
  • 20230624_121455.jpg
    20230624_121455.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 71

MacZ

No chance, Mike is right, the whole open strip in the front (and the back respectively) is your problem. Look at this schematic drawing. You have to break the lines of sight across. Front to back and make sure the lowest 10-15cm above the sand are closed off. If the fish can look under it or around it from an angle it's useless. Your tank leaves two big areas open that the fish can overlook. Whoever becomes the dominant fish will claim that whole area.

structure dwarf cichlids.jpg

Thalassa

I also have a coldwater 30g with a pair of A Borellii this should be dense enough for just 1 pair right?

Attachments

• 20230624_121503.jpg
    20230624_121503.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 72
  • 20230624_121508.jpg
    20230624_121508.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 64
  • 20230624_121516.jpg
    20230624_121516.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 64

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….