• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

breeding Agassizzi

kenkht

5 Year Member
I am trying to breed my pair of agassizzi in a 10g tank. The tank is heavily planted with drift woods and some coconut shells to form caves.

They have been there for 2 week now. I noticed that at first the male was quite aggressive towards the female. Luckily There is enough hiding place to do any harm. After a few days, it was the female's turn to be aggressive. 2 days ago, the male became aggressive again. It's like they are playing "tag".

BTW, Whenever the female show aggressiveness, she turns yellow. However whenever, the male became aggressive, the female is no longer yellow.

What can I do to get them to breed? My water is pH 5, Gh = 5. Is it a matter of patience? What is their spawning trigger?

harnsheng

5 Year Member
female bcome yellow? that should be a sign of just laid eggs n guarding it la!! she is aggresive bcos wanna protect the eggs from the male! if not laid eggs yet,it means the female are trying to attracts the male into the egg laying site...and its not agrresive but kinda pursuieng!! or seducing!! hehehehehe!!:biggrin: to spawn them...conditioning the pairs with live food such as bloodworm n tubifex for few days..then it will ready to spawn!! ehehehhe!! good luck!

Woody

5 Year Member
Breeding

They will do this back and forth until they actually spawn, then the female will rule the aquarium. When she does lay eggs be prepared to move him out of there. Even with lots of hiding spaces there is still not enough room for both of them when the eggs are laid or the fry are freeswimming.
Feed them both well, lots of live food, smaller feedings several times a day works best.
If after a week of conditioning like this do a 25 percent water change, and if possible make the water is just a little bit softer. I have also had success pushing stubborn pairs by doing this.
Good food for a week, then a large waterchange with water the same pH, a degree or two softer in hardness and a couple of degrees cooler in temperature.
If this still doesn't force them to breed, condition them for a couple of weeks on live food, then do the waterchange again.
I summize that it is like their natural cycle of the rainy season. It works on apistos I have breed along with corydoras and ancistrus species.

Keep us posted

Woody

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….