• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding A. Borellis

Adam - Sydney

5 Year Member
Hi All.
Ive believe a pair of my borellis have just spawned (well yesterday). I was just wondering how long on average until i need to feed them, or how long until ill see the babies. The mum is currently in her coconut and i cant see inside. Im pretty new to the fish world, so is there any other advice i should know.

Oh and in the breeding tank they are in (split in half with A. Cacatoides on the other side) there is a green film covering the top of the water. A friend said this is because i dont have an aerator in that tank, just wanted another opinion before i went out and bought one.

And while im at it. I live in Australia and was just wondering what type of other Apistos people in australia have and where they got them from. I would like a pair of viejitas soon. Maybe a pair of Jurensis as well.

Thanks in advance
Adam

andros

5 Year Member
i havent got borrelli's but i have spawned my fish before but none of the eggs have ever hatched ive noticed they eat them alot i would reccommend putting the eggs in a hospitalisation tank and hatching them that way so then you have a better hatch rate
do u live in sydney cause ive been trying to find someone to buy some juruenis and some viejetas with me so we could get a discount.the viejetas are fairly expensive cost around $40 each for wild caught,i can get some discounts from manly aquariums cause i buy most of my stuff from there.
you can get a large range of apistos and other dwarf cichlids

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi Adam,

I prefer to keep the spawn with the parents as they will protect and clean the eggs, wigglers, and fry. Are you sure the parents are eating them and not other tank occupants? Apistos can't defend against nocturnal predators.

Do you have any dither fish in the tank? Sometimes the parents need something to defend against to bring out their parental instincts. Borellii are usually good parents. Sometimes young couples need to try a couple times to get it right.

Here is a link to a recent post when someone had problems hatching apisto eggs artifically:
http://forum.apistogramma.com/viewtopic.php?t=2602

Michael

Adam - Sydney

5 Year Member
Hey good to hear from people.
My local is currently storing viejitas. I dont have a tank for them, i bought a male. But there were 6 more. THat is Reef aquariums at Hornsby. Just give them a call and ask for Mike. They are for $18. Id love jurenesis when i can get another tank.
I currently have about 8 borelli fry swimming round. Not very many on her first batch but im happy. If anyone wants borellis if or when they grow up. Please contact me on my email. Also if anyone is interested in comparing import lists please contact me.
Thanks for the advice Adam

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….