• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Borellii female ID check

FishMonkey

Last time I brought apistos I got stiched up with different apistos (thanks for the ID last time @CRD ). I took them back and got 1M/3F from one Maidenhead and another 2F from a different Maidenhead to get a nice harem going.

They're all about the same size so I imagine they were new arrivals from the same batch in each branch but they all look a little different.

Can someone please confirm these are all borellii and that I haven't been stiched up again.. P.S. Ignore the picture of the male, he does this weird play dead thing where he curves up, clamps his fins, and goes a very bright pale blue which doesn't look great in photos

Attachments

• 00000IMG_00000_BURST20201229193043670_COVER.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 183
  • 00000IMG_00000_BURST20201229192923635_COVER.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 161
  • 00000IMG_00000_BURST20201228184253594_COVER.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 162
  • 00000IMG_00000_BURST20201228183850266_COVER.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 159

Samala

Most look to be females but there are a lot of blue spangles on the face of the "female" in photo 1 to the right side. Might be variation, but I'd watch "her".

The play dead thing sure is freaky isn't it!? First time I caught my male borellii doing this while interacting with a mirror I thought he'd had a stroke or something. Cannot work out if that is a dominance display or a submissive one. Sure seems like a submissive thing but have only caught the big adult male doing it. None of my juveniles have done it yet.

FishMonkey

Most look to be females but there are a lot of blue spangles on the face of the "female" in photo 1 to the right side. Might be variation, but I'd watch "her".

The play dead thing sure is freaky isn't it!? First time I caught my male borellii doing this while interacting with a mirror I thought he'd had a stroke or something. Cannot work out if that is a dominance display or a submissive one. Sure seems like a submissive thing but have only caught the big adult male doing it. None of my juveniles have done it yet.

Haha I'm glad it is not just my Borellii who does this.

To me it definitely looks to be a submissive way of attracting new females while avoiding trouble. When I added an extra two females (obviously a bit scared with colour loss) he done it a lot more to the two additional Borellii and I definitely see it less (but still a lot lol) now that the male has settled in.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….