• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Borelli family groups - interesting roles of male and females

Mol_PMB

I am a member of a more 'general' fishkeeping forum. One of the other members has been observing and reporting some fascinating behaviour in his tank with one male and 3 female borelli with fry.

Basically, in daytime, each female has a group of fry. But at night the male chases all the females away, and gathers all the fry together in one place, where he guards them. In the morning it's all back to 'normal' with 3 groups of fry with the females. This is ongoing at present and there is a very detailed thread here:

http://www.tropicalfishforums.co.uk/index.php?topic=81281.0

Any thoughts? Is this a known behaviour?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Interesting. Like all animals in captivity, fish can behave atypically at times. That being said, I don't know of any studies of A. borellii brood care in the wild, so who knows what they do there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….