• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Books recommendations

Refael Hdr.

5 Year Member
Hi,
I'm looking for some good dwarf cichlids books or even any interesting book that deals with all kinds of south american cichlids (and catfish too).
I'll be glad to get your recommendations on books you've read and liked...

Thanks a lot:)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
For the beginning & even experienced (oh hell, any dwarf cichlid hobbyist) I'd recommend Römer's Cichlid Atlas if you can find it. It has some obvious errors in identifications and is about 10 years old, so it will not have many of the newer species. Still for the majority of commercially available species it is very detailed. Volume 2 will be out around the first of next year. Even it will not have all of the newer species in it.

For accurate picture identification I recommend The Datz Special Publication, South American Dwarf Cichlids. It has photos of 242 Apistogramma, 1 Apistogrammoides, 3 Biotoecus, 2 Crenicara, 8 Dicrossus, 7 Laetacara, 1 Mazarunia, 3 Mikrogeophagus, 7 Nannacara, 2 "Nannacara", 1 Taeniacara & the Red Patwa. This book is similar to the AquaLog book, but has slightly more data on each fish. It can be hard to find, although I will be selling it - if my shipment ever arrives from Germany.

For serious Apistophiles I highly recommend Koslowski's book "Die Buntbarsche Amerikas Band 2: Apistogramma & Co. This book goes into much greater detail about identification of the geophagine dwarf cichlids. It makes apisto ID almost easy! It also has biotope data from by fish collectors and exporters from all over the world. I am so impressed with it that I translated the book into English & included all of the new apisto discoveries published before July of this year. I will be selling both the book and translation once my shipment arrives from Germany.

IMHO, all other books are too old, to inaccurate, or too limited in species to be considered above the books listed. Of course, I am listing only books that can be read by English-reading hobbyists.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The English edition was published in 2000. Other than some minor differences in photographs, it is the same book that was published in German in 1998. Uwe completed the manuscript in late 1997.

ProF_FR

5 Year Member
Hi,

Mike i'd be happy to buy such a book .. i mean the Koslowski's book , let us know when it will be avalaible, i'll order it ( if you accept shipment to France ;) )

ProF

Zapisto

5 Year Member
ProF_FR said:
Hi,

Mike i'd be happy to buy such a book .. i mean the Koslowski's book , let us know when it will be avalaible, i'll order it ( if you accept shipment to France ;) )

ProF
you will not be disapointed.
marvelous books

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
ProF_FR said:
Hi,

ProF

The Koslowski books arrived Wednesday! I am sending information to those who already have reserved books. PM (or email) me for prices. Yes, I mail to everywhere the US Postal Service sends mail, which is about 200 countries. I accept PayPal, money transfers, & international money orders.

javoski

5 Year Member
I was looking for the books above when I found the book "South American Dwarf Cichlids: New A-numbers, Habitat, Care and Reproduction", by Rainer Stawikowski and Ingo Koslowski.

I assume this is a different book from ""Die Buntbarsche Amerikas Band 2: Apistogramma & Co", but the author is the same.

Do someone have feedback about "South American Dwarf Cichlids: New A-numbers, Habitat, Care and Reproduction"? Is it about new and rare species?

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
Javoski, I think the "book" you mentioned (New A-Numbers, ...) it´s really a special number of Datz magazine.

This magazine introduced us the A-numbers (something like de L-number for loricarids). This magazine have a very interesting article about phylogeny by Michael Miller and Ulrich Schlieven, besides it´s very useful to avoid missunderstanding derived from commercial names and other names.

But the book "Die Buntbarsche Amerikas Band 2: Apistogramma & Co" it´s amazing (very small photos, I´ve to say) but impressive morphological and habitat descriptions.

If I´m wrong with the guess about the book/magazine, please let me know.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The book "South American Dwarf Cichlids" by Stawikowski, et al. is a "special publication" (Sonderheft) of the German magazine Die Aquarien und Terrarien Zeitschrift (DATZ). The book is published in a combined German/English edition. It has photos of all of the dwarf cichlid species presently known (except 1 possible population variant and a very new apisto species, both not distributed in the hobby). It is similar in format to the Aqualog books - mostly pictures with captions. The front part has very good chapters on ecology, care in the aquarium, & a preliminary phylogeny of the genus Apistogramma based on DNA studies. Species identifications are very accurate, unlike Aqualog's SACII which has 15%+ species misidentified.

I still have some copies for sale if anyone is interested.

S

spine

Does anyone know if the reprint of Chiclid Atlas1 is available yet?

brad

5 Year Member
According to stevensimpsonbooks.com;

"Cichlid Atlas Volume 1 is presently out of print but is due to be revised and reprinted in 2008."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….