• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Books on Apistogramma

Apistoguy52

In English, Cichlid atlas 1, and CA 2 by Romer are probably as good as it gets. If you’re willing to translate, Apistogramma and friends (?) by Koslowski is purported to be the superior book.

anewbie

What is the difference between Cichild atlas volume 1,2 and 3 (I think)? I have volume 2 but not sure if the other volumes add much.

anewbie

For the most part they discuss different species, plus more recent information in CA2. There is no CA3, at least yet.
Does volume 1 cover much in apisto and other dwarf cicihld ? The reason i ask is volume 2 is readily available but not volume 1.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
CA1 covers almost every dwarf cichlid species known before 2000. CA2 covers updates and new forms since then. CA1 is nearly impossible to find anymore. Those who have it keep it. Sadly Uwe told me years ago that the last 1500 copies in English were destroyed in a warehouse fire, so they're rare. If you're bilingual there are German and French versions out there.

Apistoguy52

There are a few CA1 copies floating around. After a few years of watching, I managed to scoop one on EBay for $80

anewbie

CA1 covers almost every dwarf cichlid species known before 2000. CA2 covers updates and new forms since then. CA1 is nearly impossible to find anymore. Those who have it keep it. Sadly Uwe told me years ago that the last 1500 copies in English were destroyed in a warehouse fire, so they're rare. If you're bilingual there are German and French versions out there.
Pity he doesn't reprint it - or update it and reprint it. If printing isn't feasible he could maybe sell a pdf (of course some would copy it but ....)

Bill D.

5 Year Member
In English, Cichlid atlas 1, and CA 2 by Romer are probably as good as it gets. If you’re willing to translate, Apistogramma and friends (?) by Koslowski is purported to be the superior book.
Where can vol 1 be purchased reasonably. e

dw1305

5 Year Member

BSMet94

Am I horribly out of date with my old 1990s book "Dwarf Cichlids: American Cichlids I" by Linke & Staeck from Tetra Publishing? That's what I have on my shelf, along with "The Cichlid Aquarium" by Paul Loiselle. :)

I've been away from the hobby for 20 years, and I'm just now collecting substrate and identifying plants to start setting up my 40 gallon tank again this summer. I've decided to challenge myself and try to keep at least one Apistogramma once I get the tank planted and established with a handful of tetras. Previously, I had rift lake cichlids, mostly because our water is naturally very hard and a bit alkaline here in the foothills of Los Angeles, and it was just that much easier. Stupidly, we had record amounts of rain this spring.... I should have been saving that!!

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Am I horribly out of date with my old 1990s book "Dwarf Cichlids: American Cichlids I" by Linke & Staeck from Tetra Publishing? That's what I have on my shelf, along with "The Cichlid Aquarium" by Paul Loiselle.
I've got both of those.
mostly because our water is naturally very hard and a bit alkaline here in the foothills of Los Angeles, and it was just that much easier. Stupidly, we had record amounts of rain this spring.... I should have been saving that!!
I have hard tap water as well, and am a rainwater user, but I'm going to guess (all right I know) that it rains a lot more in SW England than it does in the SW USA.

cheers Darrel

MacZ

Am I horribly out of date with my old 1990s book "Dwarf Cichlids: American Cichlids I" by Linke & Staeck from Tetra Publishing?
I don't have a copy, but you can expect the taxonomy to have changed somewhat since.

mostly because our water is naturally very hard and a bit alkaline here in the foothills of Los Angeles, and it was just that much easier. Stupidly, we had record amounts of rain this spring.... I should have been saving that!!
Saving... well, not enough, because using soft water like rain or RO has to come from a steady source and your region is mostly semi-arid to full-on desert. You can scratch breeding and maybe should consider only a handful of species known to be tolerant of harder water. Personally I'd probably scratch south america as a whole and do a shelldweller tank.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….