• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bolivian ram troubles

cmoreash

5 Year Member
I have 4 bolivian rams in a planted 20 gallon tank with flame tetras, black neons, a pair of otos, and a cory. The rams have always fought and showed off among each other, but lately, I have witnessed some disturbing behavior. 2 of the rams (I have no idea what gender any are, but these 2 have very distinct dark markings) have got EXTREMELY territoral in opposite ends of the tank. 1 of them is behind a bunch of wood. He chases out even tetras and the cory. These 2 rams are constantly chasing away the other 2, who hang out in the middle. The one behind the wood doesn't come out often. The other guards a corner loaded with rotala indica. What could have caused these mood changes in my rams? They are mean to each other now. No damage, just chasing and light biting, but it is getting to be a routine. They are all very healthy, and get frozen and live foods once a day. Water is fine too. The other 2 try to stick up for themselves some of the time by puffing up fins, flaring gills and locking lips, but they get chased a lot too. What is wrong with my bolivian rams? :?

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
Sounds to me like you have a pair. If they are chasing everyone away, odds are they have spawned back in there or they are getting ready to. If they have spawned, and they survive, they should be bringing out the fry in a few days. They'll make little depressions in the substrate and keep the wigglers there. Mine moved theirs around once or twice a day to about 4 different areas. Good luck with them. Mine seemed to be rather decent parents.

cmoreash

5 Year Member
well, they guard opposite ends of the tank. the one behind the wood controls all, and no one can boss it around, but the other one doesn't go behind the wood. One that I believe is a female hangs out around the wood, and she fights with the big ram the most. She won't stay away from the wood.

cmoreash

5 Year Member
Ok, here is what's new:

The "male?" that guards behind the wood is coming out more, and quickly checking everything out, then rushing back to his cave of wood. He pauses to flare up at the others. The "female?" that is often is his corner is getting agressive. She is often trying to get in his cave, and gets in when he is checking out the tank. He chases her out. When he comes back and she is not in the cave, she picks a fight with him, and they both flare up fins, puff out gills, and lock lips. The other "male?" Is still guarding his patch of plants. The 4th ram is in the mid-level of the tank, usually around the java fern on wood, and the tall crypts. It has turned darkish blue all over, and remains this color most of the time.

I have no idea what my rams have in store for me next. I would think they might be getting ready to spawn, but I haven't seen any signs of pairing, I don't think. They are all around 3 inches in length, if not slightly bigger.

cmoreash

5 Year Member
OK, now the inactive ram is getting chased by the 2 "males?" and the "female?". :evil: He won't flare up anymore, he just runs. No damage to any rams yet, but I am getting worried a bit. The ram in the wood cave is very nervous, and is shy about coming out unless food is in the tank. The "female?" near his cave has gotten VERY aggressive towards him.

What is up with my danged bolivian rams??? 8O

Neil

cmoreash,
I agree with Cichlids1. I think that you definitely have territorial aggression relating to breeding. Whether someone has spawned already or is going to I don't know. I keep thinking that you are mistaking males for females while reading your posts, but i am not sure about that either.
When you say that the "female?" near his cave has gotten very aggressive towards him, what do you mean? Scales flying and fin ripping?
I think it is a reasonable possibility that you have a female behind the wood guarding eggs and an aggressive male guarding the territory that does not like the female to leave her post at all and lets her know about it. :?:

cmoreash

5 Year Member
I have no idea what is what, I have been saying "male?" or "female?" because that's my best guess. As for damage to the fish, I see some bite marks in the fins, but nothing much else. No scales knocked loose. Or I don't think so. I only get time to look at them maybe a few hours a day.

I don't see eggs behind the wood, and I think they might have hatched by now. Maybe there were some, but the cory got it. In fact, I am gonna move the cory into another tank right now, he needs a friend.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….