• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bloodworms!!!

Noxs

Hello! Everybody.... I'm Quite New Into The Apisto World...And Through My Research For Keeping And Breeding Them....I Have Heard In Many Videos That....You Cannot Feed Frozen Bloodworms To Apistos....Cuz They Are Harmful For Them...Now I Don't Have Many Experience With Apistos That Much....Bt I Have Kept And Bred Wild Betta Species Like Betta Smaragdina And Betta Coccina....I Know That... Too Much Bloodworms Can Cause Bloat In Any Fish.... That's Why I Feed It Sparingly Like Once A Week....Or Once Every Other Week....Bt In Those Videos They Specifically Say Not To Feed Apistos Any Bloodworms....So I'm Quite Not Sure Should I Feed Them Frozen Bloodworms Or Not

MacZ

It's a hit or miss, but most people I know keeping dwarf cichlids of any kind had problems with red mosquito larvae. From the fish being irritated and reclusive for a day or two, to death after 24h the whole spectrum of unwanted effects. Of course there are also people that haven't had any problems and obligatory those who probably had but never made the connection to the food. I have lost fish (not only cichlids) to red mosquito larvae more than once, hence I banned them from my fishes menu.

The actual reason is unknown, though. Some say they have barbs that can damage the inner organs, some say they contain high amounts of heavy metals. A newer theory might be allergic reactions to the high haemoglubin content. One thing that's clear: They have a somewhat unbalanced nutritional value.

Just for comparison of white, black and red moasquito larvae:

White mosquito larvae
Chaobarus flavicans, Chaoborus plumicornis, Chaoborus crystallinus,
Fats: 1%-2%, depending on the species
Protein: ca. 4%
Vitamins: no relevant amounts
Contain fiber and unsaturated fatty acids
Nutritional value: low to medium

Black mosquito larvae
Genus Culex and Aedes
Fats: 4%
Protein: 10%
Vitamins: A, D
Nutritional value: high

Red mosquito larvae (bloodworms)
Chironomus cf. plumosus, Chironomus spec.
Fats:1,1%
Protein: ca. 6%

Noxs

It's a hit or miss, but most people I know keeping dwarf cichlids of any kind had problems with red mosquito larvae. From the fish being irritated and reclusive for a day or two, to death after 24h the whole spectrum of unwanted effects. Of course there are also people that haven't had any problems and obligatory those who probably had but never made the connection to the food. I have lost fish (not only cichlids) to red mosquito larvae more than once, hence I banned them from my fishes menu.

The actual reason is unknown, though. Some say they have barbs that can damage the inner organs, some say they contain high amounts of heavy metals. A newer theory might be allergic reactions to the high haemoglubin content. One thing that's clear: They have a somewhat unbalanced nutritional value.

Just for comparison of white, black and red moasquito larvae:

White mosquito larvae
Chaobarus flavicans, Chaoborus plumicornis, Chaoborus crystallinus,
Fats: 1%-2%, depending on the species
Protein: ca. 4%

Black mosquito larvae
Genus Culex and Aedes
Fats: 4%
Protein: 10%
Vitamins: A, D
Nutritional value: high

Red mosquito larvae (bloodworms)
Chironomus cf. plumosus, Chironomus spec.
Fats:1,1%
Protein: ca. 6%
Nutritional value: low to mediuwi
How About Frozen Brine Shrimp?

MacZ

Great staple, just thaw and rinse before feeding to reduce salt content, otherwise the fishes kidneys might get damaged longterm and conductivity in blackwater tanks may rise.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
So I'm Quite Not Sure Should I Feed Them Frozen Bloodworms Or Not
I don't feed frozen Bloodworms (Chironomid Midge larvae), or live ones that have been collected commercially.

You only get commercially exploitable densities of Bloodworms in grossly organically polluted water, such as at sewage farms.

I'm happy to feed living bloodworms that <"I have "ranched" myself">.
They are safe, but don't have a <"lot of food value">.

cheers Darrel

Noxs

Great staple, just thaw and rinse before feeding to reduce salt content, otherwise the fishes kidneys might get damaged longterm and conductivity in blackwater tanks may rise.
Ok thank you for the suggestion....looks like 1 pack of frozen bloodworms are down the drain...bt I'm happy to know about all these things.....

Noxs

Hi all,

I don't feed frozen Bloodworms (Chironomid Midge larvae), or live ones that have been collected commercially.

You only get commercially exploitable densities of Bloodworms in grossly organically polluted water, such as at sewage farms.

I'm happy to feed living bloodworms that <"I have "ranched" myself">.

cheers Darrel
Thank you Brother

MacZ

Almost forgot that one.

Hence I feed a rotation of Artemia, Cyclops and White Mosquito Larvae, supplemented with a few drops of Sera Fishtamin each week and insect meal-based dry foods like bug bites.

Usually it's a three-day rotation: day 1 frozen or live, day 2 dried, day 3 fasting day.

Ttw

5 Year Member
Just my experience but I have fed frozen brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms to my apistos for 30 years and have not had problems with the food.

Sowah

I only feed live or frozen BBS, but recently I realised the wc apistos love the ADA AP Fish food! I'm not sure where you can get them in the US and they would be quite expensive out there.

MacZ

ADA is unbelievably expensive here in Germany. Interestingly you get the glass storage and portioner container but not the foods here. But there are plenty of alternatives.

Sowah

ADA is unbelievably expensive here in Germany. Interestingly you get the glass storage and portioner container but not the foods here. But there are plenty of alternatives.
They cost around 10 euro for 70g here, double the price when comparing with other brands but I was just giving it a try. I heard Dr Bassleer fish food works well too.

MacZ

They cost around 10 euro for 70g here, double the price when comparing with other brands but I was just giving it a try.
That's almost theft.
I heard Dr Bassleer fish food works well too.
Have no experience with that stuff, didn't even try as the ingredient lists show several different grains (wheat, corn) and legumes (soy) I don't want to feed my fish.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Just my experience but I have fed frozen brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms to my apistos for 30 years and have not had problems with the food.
Yes, the same here, but frozen bloodworms are a minor part of the diet. I try to be careful by buying only the top name brand products from shops I know are careful with their frozen foods.

Sowah

Hi all,

Have you tried <"Fluval Bugbites">? They seem to be accepted by a range of fish that won't normally eat dried food.

cheers Darrel
Yes, I tried feeding that several times to my apisto but he just put the pellet in his mouth and spit out unfortunately. It is even when I know he's hungry.

yukondog

5 Year Member
Most of my fish dont seem to like frozen bloodworms, I only use live bloodworms and mosquito larva that I cultivate. Freeze the surplus and use in winter.

anewbie

Slight off topic but does unopen frozen bloodworm go bad ? I have some in the freezer for about 19 months and not sure if i can still use it or if i should toss it. I know once opened it is subject to freezer burn.... but not sure if there is a problem if unopened.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….