• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bloodworms and Viejita

Borked

5 Year Member
Hello all,

I've been concerned lately about feeding bloodworms in my 75gal community tank. I have a large male A. viejita among a lot of other fish. I would like to feed bloodworms (frozen) as I have two flat packs in the freezer. The first time the viejita ate bloodworms I noticed the next day that he was a little backed up. It looked like he was pooping about 6-7 bloodworms whole at the same time. I held off on the bloodworms for a while and when I fed them again I shaved the frozen cube with a knife to make the worms into tiny chunks. I noticed no ill effects to the viejita. The last time I fed bloodworms I didn't use my shaving technique and the viejita had serious side effects. For one day the viejita looked like he had dropsy from mid-body to the anal fin only on the belly. He snapped back to normal the very next day.

I re-read the care section for viejita in the dwarf cichlid book I have (Linke & Staeck American Cichlids I) for the viejita and it reads:

"The species is sensative towards intestine parasites and preventive treatment is therefore advisable. Care should especially be taken when Tubifex or Red Mosquito-larvae are fed. This kind of live food should be conditioned before use."

I know this book was translated to english but what exactly does that mean? Is it advisable to feed this food, or should I stick to brine, mysis, ML-bio, and flake?

thanks in advance,
-Kyle

Discus Man

5 Year Member
bloodworm should not be used IMO.
I know it can be a food source, but the shells are indigestible and can cause blockages. In Apistos and Discus that are senitive to gut infections it is a risk without benefit as the nutrition can be obtained through less risky foods.
By chopping it, you simply made it easier to pass.

Randall

5 Year Member
Frozen Bloodworms

Dear Kyle,

In their book, Linke & Staeck are referring to live Tubifex and live Red Mosquito larvae, not frozen. In feeding some live foods, we run the risk of passing on some patheogen or protazoa to our fish. I believe this is what the authors are referring to. We don't run this risk when feeding frozen or freeze dried foods, however.

Frozen Bloodworms are pretty much a main staple food in the cichlid hobby. If your fish don't respond well to it, however, then father knows best. Perhaps other foods would be more to your fishes' liking.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….