• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Biotoecus opercularis

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Hi folks,

Thought I would show off the latest breeding project. Found these on an import list a few weeks back and was lucky enough to get a box. Have to admit that I've never seen these in the UK before and I think they have dropped off the import lists again.

They were very emaciated when they came in, but have taken to various frozen foods (cyclops, daphnia) and the obligatory bbs and now started to fill out, colour up and display to each other (a number are already showing red ventrals).

They're still in the quarantine tank (apologies for the pics!!!), water stats are pH ~5.6, GH 1, KH 0 (100% RO water filtered through peat for a minimum of 24 hours prior to use).

Hopefully they move to their new tanks this weekend. Plan is to have a couple of centimetres of silica sand on the base and bogwood and plants round the edges of the tanks.

Time will tell...

Andrew

biotoecus_001.jpg

biotoecus_002.jpg

biotoecus_003.jpg

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Hi Deedoo,

Boxes will normally contain between 40 and 60 fish. From the box I received I had 15 DOA and lost a further 3 or 4 within 48 hours of receiving them (I've had them over 3 weeks now and haven't lost any more fish).

As stated above, they were extremely emaciated when I received them, but now take fresh bbs and frozen cyclops twice a day, they have filled out and now showing very nice colours. I transferred my remaining fish to their breeding tanks over the weekend, so hopefully this weekend I can get some better pictures.

There are 2 other people in the UK who have had some of this batch for their own breeding projects. I am in the process of splitting down the remaining fish into 2 breeding groups and will probably end up with a few spare fish, but as you know, they are very difficult to find so dissapear very quickly when they appear for sale!!

Regards

Andrew

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(