• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

best apisto setups

andros

5 Year Member
hi i was wondering a good way of setting up apisto tanks.
is it best to use dark coloure sand which they can spit out to make caves with or gravel.
i am currently trying to breed apisto cacatuoides,agassizi and macmasteri.
is it best to have lots of plants to fill the tank up with?
also should i have upside down clay pots ive heard they are the best to use or should i use small shells or driftwood.
what is the best way of breeding these type of fish without them eatin their eggs?
should i have a dark background to help them and to make them feel less stressed.
i am also breeding n.anomala so if anyone has points for setting up anomala tanks please notify me.
thanks
andrew

Neil

andros,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

hi i was wondering a good way of setting up apisto tanks.

There are many ways to do it. Run a search here or take a look at this article: http://www.apistogramma.com/cms/Articles/Dwarf_Cichlid_Husbandry/Tank_Set-up_for_Dwarf_Cichlids/ for ideas.

is it best to use dark coloure sand which they can spit out to make caves with or gravel.

I don't think the color is as important as the size. Not too small a particle and not too thick, so you can gravel vac and they can move it around when need.

i am currently trying to breed apisto cacatuoides,agassizi and macmasteri.
is it best to have lots of plants to fill the tank up with?

Some structure is a good idea in the tank and live plants serve an additions function, but they are not necessary.

also should i have upside down clay pots ive heard they are the best to use or should i use small shells or driftwood.

I wouldn't use shell, but the others are fine. You can even put a pile of rocks in there and they will probably use it. If they really want to breed they will, even in a bare tank.

what is the best way of breeding these type of fish without them eatin their eggs?

should i have a dark background to help them and to make them feel less stressed.

I don't think that you need to.

i am also breeding n.anomala so if anyone has points for setting up anomala tanks please notify me.

You would probably only need to change the surfase that they use for depositing their eggs. A flat rock, wood, etc. They are open spawners and rarely use caves.

Good luck,

Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….