• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

beginner looking to breed apistos

F

fishguy

Hi!
I'm looking to start breeding Apistogrammas, and am wondering what kinds are good to breed in a smaller aquarium (20 gal), or if I should buy a larger one. I'm verry interested in the Cacutuoides triple red and the Apistogramma Corumbae or Reitzigi.
Also, what kind of set up would I need?
any help would be great.

Eva32181

5 Year Member
I have bred apisto cacatuoides in a 10. All the tank has is a spong filter, some driftwod, and some java fern, plus a few small hiding places. I filter all my water throuh peat when making changes, but that is probably not necessary for cacatuoides.

Neil

fishguy,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Almost any Apistogramma species pair can be kept and bred in a 20g. As a matter of fact, the part of the space that is really important is the lower portion of the tank, because apistos don't usually spend much time in the upper water column of the tank. Accordingly a 15g, having the same "footprint" as a 20g - but not as high, is just as good for them. When you get more than one species or more than one pair, you may need to look more closely at a larger tank.
That said, it can give a focus on how to set up an apisto tank. You could do a full planted aquaria, which is a whole world unto itself. Really all you need is a foam filter(but many will work), a bare-bottom or substrate, and items to "structure" the bottom of the tank (rocks, wood, plants, caves, etc.). Of course, you will probably need a heater.
Give the fish enough groundcover to hide from danger and breed, if necessary.

Apistogramma Corumbae or Reitzigi

I am not sure what Corumbae is, unless you mean A. combrae. And Reitzigi is probably A. borellii. Borelli and cacatuoides are good choices for a first apisto, but combrae might be kind of tough to find. Good luck,
Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….