• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Badis dadis scarlet

Zapisto

5 Year Member
Ok , well it is not south american , but it is a dwarf.

i have 3 of this little guy , amazing this fish.
anybody here raised, breed them ?
information etc... ?

i am looking for some other specimens, and i will be at NEC convention week-end of 19 march at farmington.

let me know.

2la

5 Year Member
Actually, it's not even a cichlid! I can tell you about my personal experiences tomorrow, but for now you can do a search for "Dario dario" on Google.com for some links.

2la

5 Year Member
Okay, I didn't mean to build you up for a great letdown, but I don't make any specific efforts to breed fish so I can't tell you about that aspect of this species. What I can tell you is probably stuff that you already know, like they absolutely refuse to take anything besides live or frozen foods, that males and females can be distinguished on the basis of color, that they're territorial but otherwise peaceful. I'm keeping a reverse trio (unwittingly ended up with two males before I purchased a female) without incident in a 7G tank with a pair of A. borellii, some white star tetras, and a host of Amano shrimp. They prefer soft, slightly acidic water with a temperature in the mid-70s. Lots of plants and rock- and woodscaping to create numerous hiding places is very much appreciated.

Zapisto

5 Year Member
2la said:
Okay, I didn't mean to build you up for a great letdown, but I don't make any specific efforts to breed fish so I can't tell you about that aspect of this species. What I can tell you is probably stuff that you already know, like they absolutely refuse to take anything besides live or frozen foods, that males and females can be distinguished on the basis of color, that they're territorial but otherwise peaceful. I'm keeping a reverse trio (unwittingly ended up with two males before I purchased a female) without incident in a 7G tank with a pair of A. borellii, some white star tetras, and a host of Amano shrimp. They prefer soft, slightly acidic water with a temperature in the mid-70s. Lots of plants and rock- and woodscaping to create numerous hiding places is very much appreciated.

thanks.
my first goal is give them a happy house.
after that will see for the breeding stuff.

you seems to say they stay cool with boreli , are them big enough ?
whta is the size of yours.

thanks

2la

5 Year Member
My borellii are probably 2/3rd to 3/4th full size, while the scarlet badis are just shy of an inch TL and are probably about as big as they're ever going to get. Ideally I'd recommend a larger setup than mine (it's definitely the borellii's tank), but the intra- and inter-specific aggression is not that great with all the hiding places available.

Melvin_Lim

5 Year Member
to breed the scarlet badis is fairly easy.

identify a pair and house them alone in a 5-10G tank with a sponge filter.
have some gravel, wood or anything that provides hiding spots, and lots of moss.

condition the breeding pair with live foods for a week then do a large water change.
the drop in temp from the water change should spur the female to spawn.
after 2-3 days, the eggs will hatch and start feeding the usual live baby brine shrimp, microworms, etc to the fries.

the fries grow pretty fast and should reach maturity within 3-4 months.
if there are alot of moss in the tank, the threat of the parents eating the fries will be greatly reduced.

Zapisto

5 Year Member
Melvin_Lim said:
to breed the scarlet badis is fairly easy.

identify a pair and house them alone in a 5-10G tank with a sponge filter.
have some gravel, wood or anything that provides hiding spots, and lots of moss.

condition the breeding pair with live foods for a week then do a large water change.
the drop in temp from the water change should spur the female to spawn.
after 2-3 days, the eggs will hatch and start feeding the usual live baby brine shrimp, microworms, etc to the fries.

the fries grow pretty fast and should reach maturity within 3-4 months.
if there are alot of moss in the tank, the threat of the parents eating the fries will be greatly reduced.

thanks.
the problem will be more to find a paire (particulary female)
regards

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….