• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

bacteria additives

tjnelson44

5 Year Member
What is the general feeling on bacteria additives like cycle and stability? Most of what I have heard has been negative. Do they really help to cycle a tank?
Trevor

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The problem with these additives is that they include living organisms. If the container gets too hot or too cold the bacteria can be killed. Odds are that this will occur at some time between manufacture, shipping to a supplyer, shipping to a wholesaler, shipping to a retailer, and taking it home. If you get a fresh shipment that hasn't been baked or frozen, they can work. Otherwise taking some gravel out of an established, healthy tank will be more reliable.

cootwarm

5 Year Member
I started using sponge filters for my breeding tanks. In my 30 gallon tanks I use sponges that are rated for up to 25 gallons each for a 50 gallon rating(I assume). I put one at each end of the tank. In my 10 and 20 gallon tanks, I use 1 of the same sponges. When I start a new tank, I swap one of the used ones with a new one. I squeeze some "juice" from the old filter into the new filter to give it a head start.

This system seems to work great. New tanks seem to be fully cycled in just a week or 2. Now I just purchase sponge filters when I need another filter. I have 7 tanks with undergravel filters that I will continue to use, but any new ones will be sponge filters.

For looks, I often set the sponges into the sand so that it's level with the top of the sponge. This leaves only the top surface exposed. I assume that there is a slight under gravel effect here, with beneficial bacteria growing around the immediate perimeter of the sponge. But I don't know it works as efficiently as a completely exposed sponge, but it seems to work good enough.

Anyhow, the sponges make a great source of bacteria that is available with as little effort as squeezing water from a sponge.

Michael

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….