• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Back from Gabon

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I am back from Gabon. Great country. Interesting fish. Challenging logistics... but I survived and managed to make it home with some cool cichlids. I will post images and blog posts (on my other website) soon. To whet your appetite, I made it home with Parananochromis brevirostirs, P. gabonicus, Chromidotilapia kingsleyi and some Hemichromis elongatus

Shernutz

Documentary

Hi Ted,

Loved the initial sneak peak of what's to come from your trip to Gabon. It is just fantastic to have this kind of cultural interaction with the local people.

I don't how "deep" you went inland, but I am always weary of undiscovered viruses. For example, hemorrhagic fever with ebola or encephalitis with nipah virus. These viruses were unknown until humans ventured deep; and developed portions of undisturbed rainforests.

Anyway - I digress....

Looking forward to future installments....

Lisa

fish-n-chips

Enjoyed watching the first video Ted, I've been checking your site a couple of times of day. I'm looking forward to your future installments.
One thing I would like to say though is.....shrimp...shrimp!!! I wish you would have brought some of those back too! That would be great to have a planted African tank with native shrimp and some tetras/killies.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Just an FYI...African shrimp can be had pretty easily. The importer I buy from often normally has 3 or 4 species on the list.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Shrimp... I brought back two populations of a Cardinia-type small shrimp. One has jet black females, but that color did not hold. Maybe it will come back in a well set up tank (everything is still in quarantine). I also came back with two Macrobrachium species. Both smaller types; one with red claws and the other with dark claws with yellow tips. We saw some truly awesome species. We found two gravid females of a large marble-pattern macro (both died) and many of the very large colorful brown and purple macro. I found one macro with a claw arm that was 2x the length of the body. We also found a few small Atya shrimp, but it was so early in the trip that I know they would not have survived (they are coastal, and we were well inland most of the trip).

Microman

5 Year Member
Superb Ted....
Antons popping over to the UK,May 1st,to tell us all at the BCA about the trip. Looking forward to seeing him again and hearing all about it.
Mark...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewShNN

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….