• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Atlanta convention

georgedv

5 Year Member
I am getting ready to book a room for the convention next month in Atlanta. the site offers the service to book at the Hilton. Is the convention going to be help at the Hilton too? If not where will it be held....since I am driving there from SC it might be easier to book a room at a place closer to the convention location then the Hilton.

Thanks

g

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Trust me. Get a room in the same hotel the convention is held. You won't regret it. Most of the cichlid experience occurs outside of the convention rooms - at all hours of the day & night.

georgedv

5 Year Member
Anybody here going to Atlanta for the convention?

This is my first time and will only be there Fri & Sat. Packing lite....one grocery bag for me and 2-3 suitcases for the fish I hope to find!!!!

g

Sharpfish

5 Year Member
After the convention rooms close for the evening the convention moves from room to room and floor to floor. That is when the party starts. It is a must to stay in the same hotel as the convention. You don't want to travel after partaking (drinking alcoholic beverages ) in the festivities all day. It is much easier and safer to stay at the convention (PARTY).:wink:

georgedv

5 Year Member
More questions on the convention

Just a couple more questions about the convention.
Is there a diff admission price for kids under a certain age. I have a number of friends w/kids starting in the hobby and i am planning to ask them if any of them want to see a fish convention. So I need to check price before I stick my wallet in my mouth.

I kinda asked this before, but just in case....do we have to wait for the auction to buy fish/food/stuff....or are vendors open all day in part of the convention center.

How does this work...can we set up some tanks/containers w/air pumps...etc in our rooms or is that prohibited. I am planning on bringing rubbermaid containers. pumps, bbs,...and just keep everything in my room. Am I crazy!!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If the kids aren't going to the talks or dinner, the rest of the convention (dealer's displays & sales, fish show) are open free to the public. Otherwise, I believe it is all the same price regardless of age.

You will be able to buy fish and products from many of the hobbyists & dealers at the convention right away. Many commercial dealers take credit cards, but not the average hobbyist selling fish. Take cash or find an ATM.

I set up tanks in my room. I prefer to take a large number of small containers, so I don't have to mix fish. For small fish like apistos, I use ½ gallon size rectangular ZipLoc freezer boxes. These are easy to stack when not used. Don't forget the water conditioners, nets & towels (always seem to forget them), air pumps, gang valves/tubing & extension cords. Extra bags & specimen cups are a good idea, too. I find taking aged sponge filters work best for filtration. I use the small, round Jungle-type. I just cut the air lift tube so that it is only 2" tall. You won't need heaters (keep the room above 70°) or hoods (use plastic wrap if you don't use plastic freezer boxes, which come with lids).

KnaveTO

5 Year Member
Being a person that attends a lot of conventions each year (thus why I don't get to the fish ones :frown: ) I always tell people to book in the host hotel. For one reason you will save on transportation too and from the convention each day. Furthermore when you book in the host hotel you are assisting with the costs of the convention itself. The more rooms booked for the convention the cheaper the meeting rooms are (most hotels will comp the meeting rooms if they reach the contracted number of hotel rooms) So by booking at the host hotel you are doing your part at keeping the convention expenses down and thus your registration fees down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….