• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

atahualpa sexing

brad

5 Year Member
I'd like a few tricks for sexing young atahualpa. I tried taking pics but that didn't work out very well.

I have 5 total and all but one are showing spots on the anal fin. Most have a somewhat orange belly which I know the male keeps, but from what I understand, the female does have some orange colour to her belly as well. I'm looking for good ways to sex them.

Thanks

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Hi there,

I've never looked at the barring in the anal fin as a method of sexing, and looking at my fish I don't think it would be a strong enough diagnostic marking in juveniles to tell the sexes apart. I don't think the blue spangling on the face would work either as a number of my females show this (granted, to a lesser extent) as well.

Back to my trusted method, if they are old enough, then your females will show black edging to the trailing ventral fins. Some of my adults:

Male:
atahualpa_male_001.jpg

Female (with male behind):
atahualpa_female_001.jpg

Andrew

brad

5 Year Member
hmmm, well that more than a little discouraging. None are showing any colour other than blue on the ventral fins. All but one are near an inch and a half.

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
hmmm, well that more than a little discouraging. None are showing any colour other than blue on the ventral fins. All but one are near an inch and a half.

Sorry Brad, but at that size I would expect to see the females with black on the ventral fins.

Andrew

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….