• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Aquarium Photography Tips from Nikon

jasonstone

Found this today and thought it was a good read. You could apply this to many different makes of cameras.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Learn-An...how-to-take-great-photos-at-the-aquarium.html
404. It seems to have been removed. :(
Uh oh!

Something went wrong.

We're sorry, but we can't find that page. If a link led you here, it's probably outdated. If you typed the address into your browser, perhaps you mistyped. Please try using our search box or the site navigation to find what you're looking for. Happy shooting!

jasonstone

Strange. I 'clicked' the link and it just came up fine - and I don't even use a Nikon!:)
Hmmm... indeed, the link is now visible to me as well. The Nikon gods must have been angered at me for some reason... perhaps for considering another brand of macro lens ;) Off to read the article!

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Yeah, Mike, I think he is probably looking at big fish in a public aquarium. Those tetras and livebearers are tough to get!

timpane

The Nikon gods must have been angered at me for some reason... perhaps for considering another brand of macro lens attachFull2124 Off to read the article!

ChuckinMA

Thanks for the link. I've made a few attempts at photographing my fish with a digital SLR and tripod, and either end up with too much glare from the flash or blurred images due to a slow shutter speed. Obviously it can be done since there are some excellent photos on this site, so I need to set aside time to more fully read the owner's guide and do some more research. :confused:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The best photos require that the flash(es) be offset from the camera. That means separate flash(es). Another option is putting the fish in a small photo tank with sunlight streaming into it.

tobocrs

5 Year Member
Thanks for the link — yes, it worked fine for me first time — and I just ordered rubber lens hoods for both my cameras! Watch out, apistogramma.com, sexy cacatuoides photos coming soon!

Mol_PMB

I find that the key components are:
-no flash
-50mm prime lens
-manual focus (instant response, not confused by reflections and the fish don't get shocked by the focusing light)
-camera that can produce quality images at high ISO/ASA (I use a D7000 at ISO 4000)
-Patience
-Gentle post-process
:)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….