• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistos by complex

A

ATNC

I'm new to the hobby (set up my first tank in November) and have been researching various Apistogramma species.
I have a pair of Borellii that just spawned and just received 5 young Macmasteri.

Information has been fairly easy to locate on these species, but some others that are available as "wild caught" through an importer near me don't pop up much when I'm searching.

I've often seen phrases like "nijsenni complex" and "macmasteri complex" in my reading. Are fish included in a given "complex" typically similar to one another in tems of requirements for care and breeding?

Is there a source on the web where Apisto species are listed according to complex?

depthc

5 Year Member
The complexes are another way of identifying the fish. Here is a good read on the different complexes - http://aquaria.info/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=334 It should clear up any confusion.

You mentioned youve been having trouble finding F0 or wild fish. Where are you located? If your anywhere in the US you can easily order F0 apistos off the internet. So just ask around for F0 macmasteria or F0 whatever apisto to clarify your looking for wild fish.

Andrew

A

ATNC

Thanks you both.

Two good articles I hadn't seen.

I'm having no problems finding fish, DepthC, just trying to figure out specifically what they are before I order from Aquabid or drive across creation to pick 'em up.

I'm in Charlotte, NC and was thinking about making a trip to the Raleigh auction in a couple of weeks. I heard about a guy, I think his name is Ken, from Fishfarm USA down in GA somewhere who imports from Peru and will be bringing various F0 Apistos to Raleigh.

Might be some other interesting stuff there as well - I hear it's a pretty big auction.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….