• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistos and strong currents (or fast moving water)

jowens

5 Year Member
I recently upgraded by filtration and it's resulted in a substancial increase in water movement. Many areas of the tank that were once extremely calm are now occupied by fast moving water. The Apistos are adjusting, but they're definetly "working harder" than they were before. Does anyone envision this as a problem for the future?

Neil

jowens,
It has been my experience that faster water current is not ideal for apistos. I would try to displace some of the flow if your fish are actually having to work from being moved around by the current. Maybe you can point the outlet of you filter toward an edge of the tank so that it only causes severe turbulance at one end. They should probably have some area that is not in direct and heavy water flow. Now if you had dwarf pikes or teleocichla... Neil

jowens

5 Year Member
I'm having some success with a diffusion bar. For each of the last three days I've taken it out and drilled the holes bigger, and it keeps decreasing the current. I say, "there, I'm done"....then I do the same thing the next day. I know, I'm a spaz...

That has solved a lot of it. I also figured out how to turn the flow rate on my new Eheim, which helps at the most important time - feeding. I wasn't as concerned with the fish during regular hours, but at feeding time the current was a real problem.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

aspen

5 Year Member
j, let the fsh tell you how much current they like and suit the tank to them. if they hang out in the quiet part all of the time, then you have really made the usable portion smaller to them. if your tank is a 55 f/i, and they only like to swim in half of it, then you might as well have just given them a quiet 30 gal. as long as the water eventually moves into the filter, the 'breeze' will be fine, imo. i have an ac mini on my 20 gal, which is set at it's lowest setting. this way i find the fish will use the whole tank, instead of just the side with no strong current. (tetras, rams) obviously if the top of the water goes stagnant, then you need to adjust it up.

rick

jowens

5 Year Member
Thanks Rick. I seem to have found a happy medium through experimentation. Using the Eheim diffusor bar, I periodically drilled larger and larger holes until I could run the thing at full volume without really interfering with the fish. There is enough plants and driftwood in the tank to slow down the currents, particularly at the bottom of the tank where the Apistos hang out.

One of the best features of new Eheim filters is the flow control. You can turn down the flow while feeding so the food isn't blown around the tank, then right back up when you're done. So far it's working great. The filter, which is built for tanks up to 92 gallons, is running at full speed on a 46 gallon tank without causing any problems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….