• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistos and Iodine

Crazygar

5 Year Member
I want to put in some "Caridina japonica" (Amano Shrimp) into my tank with my A.gibbiceps. I dose small amounts of iodine every month to help with the molting process for the shrimp.

Would this have any adverse affects on the Apistogramma?

Gary

cdawson

5 Year Member
Crazygar said:
I want to put in some "Caridina japonica" (Amano Shrimp) into my tank with my A.gibbiceps. I dose small amounts of iodine every month to help with the molting process for the shrimp.

Would this have any adverse affects on the Apistogramma?

Gary

Not sure, but I wouldn't expect the shrimp to last very long. Apistos LOVE to eat them.

Crazygar

5 Year Member
Even a full size (I have 3 at 2") ones? Wow. "Shark" (A.gibbiceps) went to town on my 6 Ghost Shrimp that I placed in the tank. One remains though, and he (definately) was the largest one.

Gary

farm41

5 Year Member
I have kept Amano shrimp with my apistos for years, I have more problems with them crawling out of the tank, than getting eaten :eek:

ymmv

cdawson

5 Year Member
farm41 said:
I have kept Amano shrimp with my apistos for years, I have more problems with them crawling out of the tank, than getting eaten :eek:

ymmv

chances are they've probably eaten the odd one, amano shrimp do a pretty good job of keeping their numbers up in heavily planted aquaria through breeding.

fishgeek

cdawson, have you bred amano's?

if so can you give me any practical advice on getting the egg's to something other than release and never to be seen again

not once have i managed to get free swimming baby shrimp and certainly never adult shrimps
i though they needed semibrackish water or at least a high mineral content for development of their exoskeleton

andrew

Crazygar

5 Year Member
How did you manage to breed Amano's in straight freshwater?!?

That truly is an impressive feat. From all the articles that I have read (and I own about 7 Amano Shrimp of mixed sizes), it states that for breeding purposes, they need salinity in their water.

I figured a few Shrimp would be pegged off initially, but if I place in my large 2"'ers...

Gary

cdawson

5 Year Member
If you have alot of plants, like wall to wall and lots of java moss they somehow manage to grow into adult shrimp in planted aquaria. We bought about 40 amano shrimp about 2 1/2 years and ago and I see babies about 1/4 " all the time in my tank as well as the adults. I even rescued about 20 larvae from my filter =)

Crazygar: I read that prior to this happening and kind of ignored it for awhile until I actually I saw baby shrimp. I think it's more ghost shrimp that need the salinity to breed than japonica shrimp because I think they're strictly FW in the wild.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyzhCrord

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….