• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistos and Ember Tetras

tarmer

I want to start by saying thank you to all - this is a very helpful forum- For me it’s in some ways like first starting - I have kept fish both salt and fresh for some time but with the fresh tried to stay community type to avoid conflicts- but have never dealt with apistos and only once with cichlids——

What I have noticed is that 2 ember tetras have come up missing in the last day or so - I checked two of the chambers and did not see anything ( I did see one of them swim in and out of a chamber so I know it’s possible and they may in fact be in the middle chamber I did not check)

But that being said - I know anything that an apisto or any fish can get in their mouth may become dinner - is it possible he ate them, he has not really paid much attention to them so it seems a long shot - but just putting it out there

TIA

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

i have never heard of apistos eating embers, but i guess if the apisto is fully grown and the ember is a young fish it’s possible. Just aswell as they can eat their own fry.

edit: i have kept embers together with apistos before without any problem. I even got one ember fry.
So maybe more hiding places as in plants etc. Would do the trick.

-r

MacZ

I would not expect Apistos prey on embers. How long is the tank running and how long do you have the embers now? I would rather presume they died and carrion usually is gone quite quickly when there are tetras in the tank (yes, they eat their dead).

What chambers are you talking about? Filter chambers?

anewbie

It is unlikely but perhaps you have a specific species of apisto that is super aggressive. What species do you have ?

tarmer

I would not expect Apistos prey on embers. How long is the tank running and how long do you have the embers now? I would rather presume they died and carrion usually is gone quite quickly when there are tetras in the tank (yes, they eat their dead).

What chambers are you talking about? Filter chambers?
Yea the filter chamber - and I have a vent cover coming as it seems to be a thing - as I replaced the two missing and now one of those is gone - so I never looked into the middle chamber but will bet that is where they ended up

anewbie

Cacatuoides -​

Should be fine - the cacatuoides certainly has a large enough mouth but (at least mine) aren't much at hunting and they leave my kubotai rasbora alone. The females would concern me but they have fairly small mouths.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….