• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma uapesi? or not?

Heidge

5 Year Member

fishboy20

5 Year Member
Well they could certainly still be A. uaupesi as a direct quote from Uwe Romer's book states in the captive biology of this species:

If the entire brood is reared to full adulthood, there is a good chance that all the color morphs found within this species will be represented. They range from "drab brown mice" with almost no color to steel blue individuals with bright red spots on the opercula and throat and red wedgeshaped markings on the caudal fin. Every intermediate coloration is generally present as well. This species must therefore be considered truly polychromatic.

So they are probably just one of the various color morphs of this species.

Heidge

5 Year Member
Thanks fishboy,

In my references (mostly book of Mayland, some japanese magazines and the Net) I couldnt find this information.

Well, other little question: A.sp. bluetkeil is a policromatic form of A. uapesi?

Best reguards,

Heidge

5 Year Member
Hi Fishboy,

I ask this question because this book. Mayland says that are some diference on the colouration of the females. The rotkeil(uapesi) in breeding form is more intense, almost orange... Like gibiceps females... The bluetkeil female is more like yellow in same situation.

If the females are diferent, the species are different. Aren't they?

And if they are the same species, why Mayland give two descriptions? The rotkeil description is short and indicate to see the uapesi...

Well, I'm still in doubt.

But thanks again,

Neil

Well, other little question: A.sp. bluetkeil is a policromatic form of A. uapesi?

That depends on who you ask, but yes, it is a species-form of uaupesi.

I ask this question because this book. Mayland says that are some diference on the colouration of the females. The rotkeil(uapesi) in breeding form is more intense, almost orange... Like gibiceps females... The bluetkeil female is more like yellow in same situation.

If the females are diferent, the species are different. Aren't they?

The "shade" of the female would not necessarily be strong enough evidence that the individuals are a different species, but does go along with the notion that they are different forms. Why do you have a female that is one specific color in breeding dress?

Neil

Heidge

5 Year Member
HI Neil,

The "shade" of the female would not necessarily be strong enough evidence that the individuals are a different species, but does go along with the notion that they are different forms. Why do you have a female that is one specific color in breeding dress?

OK, I see. I just repeat what is wrote in the book. I thought that are different species because he(Mayland) given us two different descriptions. Just that :wink:

Thanks again,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(