• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma steindachneri (Demerara)

animalmgc

5 Year Member
bought these from Mark (anubias design) I believe they originally came in as demeri but aftr Mark didn't have an ID on them I did some digging and figured them to be Apistogramma steindachneri (Demerara)

tonite when feeding seems I have at least 2 that have bodies that look to be more slender and elongated heres some pics I took

the 2 unidentified
ApistogrammasteindachneriDemerara.jpg

what I believe are 3 male steindachneri on the left and the unidentified on the right
maleApistogrammasteindachneriDemerara-1.jpg

unidentified3.jpg

unidentified2.jpg

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
The lateral spot is to high on the body for steindachneri and the caudel peduncal spot is to tall. I think you have hippolytae. I have a single hippolytae that came in on a Brazil mixed bag order...I'll try to figure out if it's a male or female and maybe we can get them hooked up!

As to the mystery fish...the pictures are quiet clear enough to be 100% sure but they look to be pertensis or cf. pertensis. Not suprising as the same Brazil mixed bag I got the hippolytae in was 1/2 pertensis and 1/2 agassizii!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with Jeff. From what I can see, you have 2 different species: A. hippolytae and A. cf. pertensis. My guess is that these fish did not come from the Demerara River of Guyana, but the Rio Demini, a tributary of the middle Rio Negro near Barcelos, a major collecting station.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….