• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Identify this female (not apisto?)

dws9876

OK, so I have this "female", originally a supposed wild-caught unidentified apisto fry. Size-wise she is not huge (maybe 2" SL), but is way bigger than any apistogramma that I have ever seen. She has caught up in size to some rams in the same tank. Shy, not agressive at all, except in defending her small flower pot cave. Looking at the photo, she does not appear to me to be very apistogramma-like at all.

Attachments

• DSC_0539.JPG
    DSC_0539.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 133
  • DSC_0540.JPG
    DSC_0540.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 138

dws9876

AH! That explains the hulking size. Since I only have one, would it be alright to try to find a female online somewhere, or am I just asking for trouble?

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
If you buy a female, they will likely breed (assuming that you provide them with the proper conditions regarding water, food etc.). In this case they will become territorial and more or less aggressive towards the rams and other fish in the tank. Depending on the size and structuring/decoration of the tank this may be a more or less severe problem. Moreover, the female "A. alacrina" you buy will almost certainly not belong to the same wild population as your male. I personally avoid breeding with specimens from different populations, because with Apistos it's rather the rule than the exception that different populations in the end turn out to be different species.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….