• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma sp"RedDot"

fishboy20

5 Year Member
I've got some "reddot" that are turning out to be easy to spawn. They spawn in just tap water with a pH of around 7.2, hardness is soft however at 20-30ppm. They do not seem to care about the temperature as I have fry in 70 degree water. I've got some juveniles growing up now. I will try to get some pics on here eventually.

_BaDgUy_

5 Year Member
Mine also spawned easily in the past...

They were in a community setup, tap water, few places to hide, and managed to spawn and raise fry. There were guppies, cories, and platties in the tank, but nothing could get close to the couple!!

:)

David

Neil

A. sp. "Rotpunct" (Redpoint or Red dot) is, perhaps, the easiest of all apistos to manage. They can spawn like rabbits in good conditions and they are a very nice-looking fish to boot. I would love to see some of your pics. As a matter of fact, I would love to use some of your pics on thar species profile on Apistogramma.com. I haven't seen that species around for a couple of years. They used to be everywhere. That seems to be the way things go - feast or famine with apistos.

Congrats on your spawn!

Neil

Rolo

5 Year Member
Neil said:
A. sp. "Rotpunct" (Redpoint or Red dot) is, perhaps, the easiest of all apistos to manage.

Hi Neil,

the german name is "Rotpunkt" with a "k" ;-)
I never had that species. The easiest species I know is Ap. sp. "Wangenfleck". ... and maybe Ap. sp. "Harlekin" and "Vielfleck"

greetings,
Rolo

Neil

the german name is "Rotpunkt" with a "k"

How are you, Rolo!
Yes, I made a little error. I must of been trying to Americanize the name! :)

The easiest species I know is Ap. sp. "Wangenfleck". ... and maybe Ap. sp. "Harlekin" and "Vielfleck"

"Wangenfleck" and "Harlekin" is can see. Resticulosa-type fish are usually fairly easy to breed and anything even remotely related to "Inca" should breed like rabbits. But "Vielfleck!" This is a xingu fish and should not be that easy. Am I wrong?

Neil

Rolo

5 Year Member
Neil said:
How are you, Rolo!
Yes, I made a little error. I must of been trying to Americanize the name!

Fine, thanks... well, it doesn't matter. I just thought I should tell you, because It's at least something I really know ;-)

Neil said:
"Wangenfleck" and "Harlekin" is can see. Resticulosa-type fish are usually fairly easy to breed and anything even remotely related to "Inca" should breed like rabbits. But "Vielfleck!" This is a xingu fish and should not be that easy. Am I wrong?

You are. Vielflecks are Xingú complex, that's correct, but they are also like rabbits and they are not very difficult to keep.

greetings,
Rolo

fishboy20

5 Year Member
Another spawning of the reddots! Yahoo! Most eggs in a while, 80+. I usually get about a 90% hatch rate from this pair so it should be a good spawn size. Can't wait, hopefully I can start having pairs available soon. I have about 40 other juveniles right now in various tanks too.

fishboy20

5 Year Member
I thought I sent pics to you of the male and female already. Hrm, I'll try again. Wish I had a camera so I could take pix whenever but I don't, not yet anways! I will resend them your way. I can now see the eyes of the baby's, yahoo!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….