• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma sp orange belly

Linda

5 Year Member
Hi!

I have question about this apistogramma is this a form of A.eunotus, like I think they are.

They was bought as A. sp orange belly.

Some pics of them

http://www.zoopet.com/medlemsbilder/showphoto.php?photo=2282&sort=1&cat=749&page=1
http://www.zoopet.com/medlemsbilder/showphoto.php?photo=2281&sort=1&cat=749&page=1

showphoto.php

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Hi Linda,

Not sure if this is Apisto eunotus. In a couple of your pictures there appears to be fairly distinct banding in the caudal fin, which at least in the images and the fish I have is not present??

Sorry, can't even offer any alternatives just now. Any ideas on how old the fish are??

Regards

Andrew

Linda

5 Year Member
a.d.wood said:
Hi Linda,

Not sure if this is Apisto eunotus. In a couple of your pictures there appears to be fairly distinct banding in the caudal fin, which at least in the images and the fish I have is not present??

Sorry, can't even offer any alternatives just now. Any ideas on how old the fish are??

Regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew.

You are not the only one that has said that.

I have some more pics one the fish,

http://www.zoopet.com/medlemsbilder/showphoto.php?photo=2334&size=big&sort=1&cat=749
http://www.zoopet.com/medlemsbilder/showphoto.php?photo=2333&sort=1&cat=749&page=1
http://www.zoopet.com/medlemsbilder/showphoto.php?photo=2335&sort=1&cat=749&page=1

thanks alot!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
No, not A. commbrae. It has only a single caudal spot. I really cannot say what species it is. The pictures just do not show enough diagnostic features. Based on the width of the vertical bars with narrow light interstitial zones, the bright area between the end of the lateral band and caudal spot, and the even bands in the tail fin, I would say that it probably is a member of the regani-complex, regani-group, but I cannot be absolutely certain. It might be a cruzi-complex form. I would need larger photos that show the dark markings better to be say for sure.

Linda

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
No, not A. commbrae. It has only a single caudal spot. I really cannot say what species it is. The pictures just do not show enough diagnostic features. Based on the width of the vertical bars with narrow light interstitial zones, the bright area between the end of the lateral band and caudal spot, and the even bands in the tail fin, I would say that it probably is a member of the regani-complex, regani-group, but I cannot be absolutely certain. It might be a cruzi-complex form. I would need larger photos that show the dark markings better to be say for sure.

Don´t this one make it? http://www.zoopet.com/medlemsbilder/showphoto.php?photo=2335&size=big&sort=1&cat=749

I can try to take more pics but I am not sure that I can get it bettre than that one.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I really cannot say what species it is. It has combinations of markings that just do not fit most known species. It might be A. sp. Nanay/Melgar Fire-belly, but the caudal pattern is different. Often the best photos for ID are those of a frightened fish (in a plastic bag).

F

Flair

I think that is Apistogramma piauensis...^^
even though they called Apistogramma sp.Orange belly

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think that is Apistogramma piauensis

The caudal fin pattern is correct for A. piauiensis, but this species, and all forms in the caetei-complex, show a downward angle at the end of the lateral band. This fish does not exhibit this feature. It also appears to be less deep bodied (high backed) for A. piauiensis. Non of the photos show the pink on blue stripes typical of male A. piauiensis, either. Two species have been called "Orange-belly" in the past: A eunotus-complex form (A. sp. Orangebauch), which is deep bodied, and A. acrensis, which looks different. I'm really not sure what it is.

Mike Wise if I want to do that, were can I send them?

Just catch one & put in in a plastic bag. Hang the bag and take a photo of the fish through the bag. Then send us a copy right here - or email me here.

F

Flair

I was wrong...
i don't have see the 2 & 3 photos...
I think they should be Apistogramma acrnsis Steack,2003...
In the past, they called "Apistogramma sp. Rio Acre Orange belly"...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You might be correct. The type specimens of A. acrensis, however, do not show such prominent rows of stripes on the caudal fin, & Bar 7 is usually highly visible only below the lateral band, forming a horizontal, downward pointing, "L" with the dark part of Bar 7 and the lateral band. Otherwise your fish has all of the features typical of A. acrensis. Perhaps it is only a geographic color morph.

Rolo

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
You might be correct. The type specimens of A. acrensis, however, do not show such prominent rows of stripes on the caudal fin, & Bar 7 is usually highly visible only below the lateral band, forming a horizontal, downward pointing, "L" with the dark part of Bar 7 and the lateral band. Otherwise your fish has all of the features typical of A. acrensis. Perhaps it is only a geographic color morph.

Hi,

The fish on the photos is abolutely identical with the A. acrensis, which are in the hobby here in germany.

regards,
Rolo

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….